Question Ready to order 1980 but I need your advice...

I'm ready to put my order in for a new 1980 but I need some advice.

1. I'm considering upgrading to a tandem axle trailer ($1457 option). Do you think this is necessary? What are the pros/cons?
    2. I'm considering hydraulic jack plate ($1524 option) mainly to set the motor back so that it doesn't interfere with sidescan. Has anyone had issues with these hydraulic jack plates? I want my boat to be as maintenance free as possible. Should I just get a 6" manual jack plate ($482 option)?
    3. Has anyone ordered the custom boat cover ($529 option)? Worth it?
    4. Will the 10" helix flush mount on the bow?

2. Member
    I'm partial to the manual plate because I would never use the hydraulic, 10 helix will not fit but I'm pretty sure the 10" solix will. Cover is a must, and it is a VERY high quality cover. I ordered a 2080 so it comes standard with the tandem but if I ordered a 1980 it would have the tandem as well.
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

3. Member
    For the record, I do not have a Vexus but obviously still run an older Ranger. I have had both single axle and Double axle trailers and having a double, I will NEVER go back to single. The boat pulls smoother, Up here in new England with our reputation for potholes, having 2 wheels makes for a MUCH smoother ride over the holes. There is a significant amount of security and safety in dealing with a BLOW out on the highway. You have better control on unimproved ramps, if one set leaves the end of the ramp you know it.... I have hung one set of wheels out there to get into low water.

Unless you plan on running skinny water Manual plate does the job.

Boat cover is worth it. nothing better when you are traveling or to keep the uninvited guests, leaves, and rain out.
    1994 Ranger 392
    1994 200 Johnson Venom Oops not any more
    2017 200ho G2
    The old girl has some serious kick now

4. Member
    Dual axle trailer def tows better but if you have to maneuver the trailer by hand to get in garage or where ever you are storing it, the single axle is much easier to maneuver.

The boat cover is always worth it and will help the resale value.

Hydraulic jackplate is only really necessary if you fish extremely shallow water. I live in Florida and couldn't imagine life without one. When I lived in SC, never had a need for one.

I think the 10" helix will not fit. Call and ask, or Im sure Mr Clark can answer that for you here shortly.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    Never stop believing and never stop chasing your dreams.
    Galatians 6:9

www.kgfishing.com

USCG Licensed and Insured Fishing Guide - Lake Murray and Clarks Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Trickyrick View Post
    For the record, I do not have a Vexus but obviously still run an older Ranger. I have had both single axle and Double axle trailers and having a double, I will NEVER go back to single. The boat pulls smoother, Up here in new England with our reputation for potholes, having 2 wheels makes for a MUCH smoother ride over the holes. There is a significant amount of security and safety in dealing with a BLOW out on the highway. You have better control on unimproved ramps, if one set leaves the end of the ramp you know it.... I have hung one set of wheels out there to get into low water.

Unless you plan on running skinny water Manual plate does the job.

Boat cover is worth it. nothing better when you are traveling or to keep the uninvited guests, leaves, and rain out.
    Same^^^ I pulled my old boat 110 miles with three tires after a bearing failure- 10pm Sunday night with work at 6am. Just slowed way down. If you stay local duals are not important, if you run all over he'll like I do tandems

Two cons with two axels is increase in tire costs/ decrease of mileage a small amount.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    1980 Bow Flush Mount
    10 inch Helix will require the mounting bracket. it will not flush mount.

7. Member
    Jack plate, tandem axle trailer and the cover is a must here is a pic of the cover. Cover.JPG

8. Member
    What i meant to say was the cover is a must. The other items are up to you.

9. Member
    I had exactly the same questions your asking when I was considering my 1980.
    I went with the tandem trailer upgrade for better towing and cheap insurance if you have a blowout or flat.
    I went with the manual for the set back. I don’t need to adjust it on the fly for shallow water conditions yet.
    I got the boat cover because it helps keep the boat clean and out of the sun/ rain. I store mine in my driveway. Protects carpet, seats and paint from fading and weather damage.
    I have 2 Helix 10’s but not flush mounted. They are mounted on the supplied Alum brackets. Not VeXus brackets. They mount flush on the VeXus face plates so I can install or remove in seconds. Works killer!!!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertdog619 View Post
    I had exactly the same questions your asking when I was considering my 1980.
    I went with the tandem trailer upgrade for better towing and cheap insurance if you have a blowout or flat.
    I went with the manual for the set back. I don’t need to adjust it on the fly for shallow water conditions yet.
    I got the boat cover because it helps keep the boat clean and out of the sun/ rain. I store mine in my driveway. Protects carpet, seats and paint from fading and weather damage.
    I have 2 Helix 10’s but not flush mounted. They are mounted on the supplied Alum brackets. Not VeXus brackets. They mount flush on the VeXus face plates so I can install or remove in seconds. Works killer!!!
    Do you have pictures you can share to show me how the helix 10’s are mounted on the console and on the bow if they’re not flush mounted?

11. Member
    Tandem axle tows like a dream and, in my mind, is cheap insurance in case of a flat.

I run a 12” Humminbird on the console and a ten inch HB in the front. Both are on custom mounts straight from Vexus and I like them fairly well. I do not like the fact that the front mount covers so much of the floor space. If I had it to do over, I would find a different mount.

The cover is awesome and high quality but will NOT fit if you run a HB 360 unit with the big 112 Ultrex. I store mine in the shop but will get the cover fitted so I can use it while on the road.

I do not have a jack plate - ran out of money. ��. It has yet to be a problem or inconvenience. It just flat hops on plane in an instant.

I hope you love your boat as much as I do mine. They are high quality units and worth the wait.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kybanker View Post
    Tandem axle tows like a dream and, in my mind, is cheap insurance in case of a flat.

I run a 12” Humminbird on the console and a ten inch HB in the front. Both are on custom mounts straight from Vexus and I like them fairly well. I do not like the fact that the front mount covers so much of the floor space. If I had it to do over, I would find a different mount.

The cover is awesome and high quality but will NOT fit if you run a HB 360 unit with the big 112 Ultrex. I store mine in the shop but will get the cover fitted so I can use it while on the road.

I do not have a jack plate - ran out of money. ��. It has yet to be a problem or inconvenience. It just flat hops on plane in an instant.

I hope you love your boat as much as I do mine. They are high quality units and worth the wait.
    any chance you can share a pic of how they look mounted on the bow and console using the custom Vexus mounts?

13. Banned
    Once you have the manual JP dialled you will be good. Personal preference but I'd rather put that extra cash you save on something more useful. Like the cover, get the factory cover. Don't have a vexus but my ranger cover is mint, fits like a glove.

14. Member
    THE TANDEM TRAILERS SO NICE YOU MIGHT CONSIDER DEPENDING ON LENGTH OF YOUR TRIPS. THE CUSTOM COVER IS WORTH THE MONEY AND IS WELL BUILT. I HAVE THE WHITE 1980 AND IT SAVES ON CLEANING AFTER TRAILERING ON THE WET ROADS

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sj88 View Post
    Do you have pictures you can share to show me how the helix 10’s are mounted on the console and on the bow if they’re not flush mounted?
    I will take a couple pictures of it and post them
    Last edited by Desertdog619; 12-18-2018 at 01:40 PM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kybanker View Post

i didn’t like the VeXus bow mount either for the same reason, it also covers up the cup holder. So I mounted the brackets on the factory face plates. Works excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno199 View Post
    Jack plate, tandem axle trailer and the cover is a must here is a pic of the cover. Cover.JPG
    How do you like the Suzuki motor?

18. Member
    Picked the boat up in August and i'm at 81 trouble free hours as of this past weekend. It sips gas and is quieter than my Yamaha. I have Zero complaints thus far.

19. Member
    Thanks for all your help. I just ordered today!