Coosa 216 transom

Hi all, went to look at a 2002 216 Coosa this weekend. Upon trimming the engine up and down, I noticed transom movement. Transom cap also had a port to starboard split in it about 12 inches long.
    Upon looking at the transom from inside the battery compartment, I noticed an aluminum bracket which picked up on the 4 jack plate mounting bolts thru the transom. The bracket was also
    bolted thru the gussets that tie the transom into the stringers, with three 1/2 inch diameter looking bolts per side. Seller tells me that the bracket was a factory install, although it looked to me like it could have been homemade??
    Stuck my finger in a void at the inside, upper intersection of the transom and the top cap and got mushy, black residue, not brown like plywood rot.... because there is no plywood in the Coosa models.
    There were also black streaks running down the outside of the transom from the bottom of the jack plate.
    My 1999 201 didn't have any "metal" plates in it and the transom was rock solid. Am I missing something here?
    I know that Cobras are built like tanks, that's why I am looking for another one...since mine got scrapped in a road accident.
    I have 25 years experience as a senior manufacturing engineer in aeronautics. I have extensive knowledge in composite parts design and fabrication, as well as major air frame repair and rework.
    Composite construction, whether it be fiberglass, Kevlar or carbon fiber, is not generally "strengthened" with single thickness, metallic plating, as an "outer" reinforcing layer.
    The strength comes from the laminated layers of the particular composite material being used, and the resin used to bond the layers.
    Of course things may be different for a boat that cruises at 60 mph.... and not at an altitude of 35,000 feet...
    Thanks for any insight.
    Last edited by hookahawg; 12-16-2018 at 08:08 PM.
    2000 VIPER COBRA 201D /225 Merc EFI SER: 0T054298
    Where does the white go when the snow melts?

2. Member
    if it moves by just trimming it up an down adjust the price for a new transom.

3. Member
    My 2002 216 has no inside plate and is rock solid with a 12” jackplate and big block Merc.
    Perhaps some type of impact on or off the water caused the damage.
    I can’t imagine that kind of movement just from hitting the trim switch.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

Thanks for the comments guys....I knew there was not supposed to be any plates bolted to a transom...just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
    Don't wanna get caught up in a project boat either.....been there, done that and the project just never ends.
    Cheers!

5. Member
    Sounds like a rotting failing transom to me. I'd politely pass. There is no way that owner is oblivious to that.

You're absolutely right Louis, and I politely ran away as fast as I could! Kinda crappy that I made a 6 hour trip each way for nothing.
    Maybe the seller figured I would have gone ahead with the purchase, despite the condition, since I had come all that way.
    I think one should list the negatives as well as the positives when selling something, such as a boat, car or other big ticket item.
    It prevents both the seller and the buyer from wasting their time and money. I am now looking at another boat in Kentucky...14 hour drive each way for me.
    You can be dang sure that there will be a ton of questions asked and answered before I pull the trigger on another road trip for nothing.

7. Member
    I had a peach of a 201 dc. Sold it to a buddy back in 09. It was a great boat overall. Not a speed demon but handled well in creeks and back water like a 17 or 18 footer. I still see it all the time on the water. I’m in a BCB now and I will say I love it a little better. Keep looking you will find one and you are definetly wise on what to look for. I will say I have heard about some transom issues with the 99-03 models.

8. Member
    What would be in the transom of a all-composite Coosa Cobra that could rot?
    I thought that nothing inside to rot was one of the main features/advantages of having an all-composite wood-free transom & hull.
    Think the guy might have hit something hard at speed with the lower unit & cracked the transom?
    AlanW
    2000 Viper Coral 191
    Mercury 200 EFI
    12" Slidemaster
    25" Tempest Plus

That could be quite possible as the front axle was dented upwards and needed to be replaced. Spare tire carrier also had an upwards bend in it. Wht I found strange as well is that a 2002 hull has a 2001 engine on it. Things don't seem to add up. But anyway, good luck to him with the sale.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSTTEXAN View Post
    My 2002 216 has no inside plate and is rock solid with a 12” jackplate and big block Merc.
    Perhaps some type of impact on or off the water caused the damage.
    I can’t imagine that kind of movement just from hitting the trim switch.
    Ditto, I have a 2001 216 solid as a rock as well!

Cheers,

George

11. Member
    They are around and you should be able to find one without any issues. I'd stay clear of that deal!

Cheers,

George

Mine is still available.

13. Member
    I don't know where this guy gets his information from as he inspected my boat in my driveway while I was out of town. Obviously I was not hiding anything. The black residue is from wd-40 that was sprayed on the motor parts mixing with recently oiled engine parts as the motor was just winterized. I spray all parts of the moving engine parts before storing it for the winter.
    The boat and motor has been inspected at the end of every season by a licensed mechanic . I have had the boat for 15 years and bought it when it was 3 years old from the original owner. The original owner was a viper pro staff who was only selling because cobra went out of business and he had a new deal with Bass Cat.
    There is no play in the transom. The metal plates have been on the boat since I purchased it and were installed by Viper. Definitely not homemade as I would have no idea how to do it. The boat and motor have been rock solid since I purchased it. Never missed a day on the water in 15 years because of boat or motor problems.
    Not worth arguing with this guy as he has his own opinions and I don't have to sell. Happy Holidays to all!

14. Member
    My 2001 is rock solid. Love the boat.

I never once mentioned where the boat was located or whom it belonged to. No arguing here, just asking for other's thoughts based on what I saw. Cheers