Ultrex - Play in the mount hinge joint

I've noticed a little play in my Ultrex mount where it articulates/hinges (not the control head end). I pulled the side plate off where I saw two Allen headed bolts. I was wondering if the Allen bolts would be the way to get this play/slop out or is there some other way?

Yes sir. I had to put red loctite on mine to keep them from baking out.

3. Member
    Usually Torx head bolts. These hold the pivots in place. Around the pivots are plastic bushings. If/when these bushings go bad it will cause side to side movement.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Usually Torx head bolts. These hold the pivots in place. Around the pivots are plastic bushings. If/when these bushings go bad it will cause side to side movement.
    John
    They are torx, I took a closer look at them last night and realized that after posting my initial question. They don't seem to be loose either. It appears that loc-tite was applied from the factory.

Should there be any slop at all? Or does any slop indicate wear on those bushings? The reason I ask is this thing is only 6 months old and probably hasn't been used more than 20 - 30 days on the water. Is this something I can expect to have to replace every year?
    Last edited by Whistler; 12-17-2018 at 08:15 AM.

5. Member
    There will be "some" side to side movement, but shouldn't be slop. Usually when the bushing go bad, the upper arm will move side to side as well as up and down when in the stowed position. When the bushings are bad, you will be able to see them broke with the side plates removed.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    There will be "some" side to side movement, but shouldn't be slop. Usually when the bushing go bad, the upper arm will move side to side as well as up and down when in the stowed position. When the bushings are bad, you will be able to see them broke with the side plates removed.
    John
    Thanks for the info John. I'll take another look at them. I don't recall seeing anything broken and there isn't a significant amount of movement so I'll probably just keep an eye on it for now.