Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Cheap and EZ DIY Fish Habitat/Cover

Looking for cheap ideas on some things that would do good if sunk. So far just thinking of doing things like these.

Any other ideas or tips for sinking stuff like this?

do pretty much the same with bamboo or hardwood tops

oh and old pallets

3. Member
    The one of top is a fine design. When we did it, it seemed to attract crappie more so than bass. So we smoked crappie out of it. We had a bunch of luck using 4” flexible drainage tubing attached to a cement bucket. You can throw different size pieces of pool floats in The tubing to make it come alive.

I know of a few sunken pieces on my home lake that they tied 2 or 3 liter bottles into the top of the piles to keep them upright. Works well because I have seen them still standing everytime the water gets low.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

5. Member
    Look up Georgia Cubes fish attractors. They are easy and work way better for bass!!!!
    Brad
    '16 Ranger 521c
    250 Merc Pros XS

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gatechfan View Post
    Look up Georgia Cubes fish attractors. They are easy and work way better for bass!!!!
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'm gonna try to build a few of those this winter.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gatechfan View Post
    that looks good and doable...how much you think it costs to make those? I have no PVC supplies so will need to buy everything...trying to keep it as cheap as possible

Personally, I wouldn't do any of these without contacting the state dept. of fisheries and asking...and you still might catch crap for littering, environmental crimes, etc. If I persisted in doing it, I'd for sure do it in the wee hours and maintain a low profile. Also, all that pvc pipe would not be cheap, unless you know someplace where you can get some scraps.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't do any of these without contacting the state dept. of fisheries and asking...and you still might catch crap for littering, environmental crimes, etc. If I persisted in doing it, I'd for sure do it in the wee hours and maintain a low profile. Also, all that pvc pipe would not be cheap, unless you know someplace where you can get some scraps.
    im fully aware, and all that stuff is on me but appreciate you mentioning it. Just looking for some ideas for cheap and easy things that people use for fish cover.

Jet Skis are my favorite, actually!

11. Member
    Go to a dump and get old toilet bowls. Do not get hung up on them and they attract.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion922 View Post
    Go to a dump and get old toilet bowls. Do not get hung up on them and they attract.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishInTheDesert View Post
    im fully aware, and all that stuff is on me but appreciate you mentioning it. Just looking for some ideas for cheap and easy things that people use for fish cover.
    Cheapest and easiest is using trees you cut down and some cinder blocks and bottles. The PVC works but will be hard to find with sonar and will end up costing unless you have fittings and stuff just laying around. FYI, it's illegal to cut trees around the bank of the lake. In January it's a good time to gather up Christmas trees to use. I'm going to get some for sure

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FishInTheDesert View Post

I'm assuming he's very serious. I know a buddy of mine use to collect them from a plumber buddy of his and would sink them. Basically a man made rock pile.

15. Banned
    I remember hearing a story about someone using old cars for structure. Problem was they kept getting there line broke. They sent a diver down to figure out what was up. Turns out the bass were biting the bait, swimming inside the car and rolling the windows up to break the line.

I do like the top one.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Jet Skis are my favorite, actually!

Rider attached.??

17. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Bois D Ark tree limbs set in concrete. Lasts for years.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fistacuffs View Post
    The one of top is a fine design. When we did it, it seemed to attract crappie more so than bass. So we smoked crappie out of it. We had a bunch of luck using 4” flexible drainage tubing attached to a cement bucket. You can throw different size pieces of pool floats in The tubing to make it come alive.
    was it hard to keep lite,never had smoked crappie?

19. Member
    During draw down at Pickwick lake you can find where people have placed toilet bowls in shallow spawning water. Can be used in case of extreme emergency!

20. Member
    Only to the bowls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast