Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

story I want to share...

I guess people could say I am bragging but you can look at it ever how you want. In the early 2000's I regurualy fish a small club and Tuesday night opens. I had fun tournament fishing but it was something I just never really got into. What few people I know and talk to are all tournament fishermen. I take my fun fishing serious but when it comes to tournaments all I have done over the last 15 or so years is an occasional open here and there. Sometimes I would go 2-3 years and never fish a tournament. I don't know why but for some reason I decided to fish a fall/winter circuit this year. I had no partner because everyone I know is already hooked up with someone else. I knew the Taylor County High School fishing coach so I ask him if he had a student I could mentor. He hooked me up with a student but I told him I must first clear this through his parents. I met his dad and in one meeting it was like we had known each other for years. I paid 100% of the entry and furnished the boat and fuel. He offered to pay his part but I made it clear something inside me was saying this is a perfect opportunity to mentor a youth and it's just something I wanted to do. My wife says it was because I never had a son of my own and our daughter recently moved out and I am now going through a midlife crisis In reality several years ago I had a neighbor take me under his wing and show me the ropes. This was my way of passing along the torch.

Anyways I found a USA Bassin division that fished all events on Sunday. This was key for me because I work every Saturday. It was a small division that only drew 10-14 boats a tournament. This was also good because with a youth as my partner I did not want him to feel overwhelmed competing against a bunch of adults. We had 2 tournaments on Green and three on Cumberland. As I mentioned our division was small with only a dozen or so boats at each event. We were fortunate enough to finish 4th,3rd,1st,3rd and 4th and won the points race. Our 1st was also the biggest weight of the season with 16.20 on Green. Again I know this may come off as someone who is bragging but I am more proud of Jacob than I am for myself. Plus I got to fish with a youth that taught me something...I just wanted to share this story.

2. Member
    Its a cool story. Congratulations. Im sure you have made this young anglers year.
    1994 SWIFT boat 200-SDX
    1999 Mercury EFI 150

3. Member
    This is how “growing the sport” is really done. Awesome!

4. Banned
    Thanks for sharing!! Great story and even better for you taking the young Man Under your wing. Helping someone is very gratifying. Well done sir.

5. Member
    Gene, me & my partner take a couple different young guys with us at times too & it's more fun seeing them do good than us. We have sat down a bunch of times striper fishing & watched them catch them & make fun of how they get torn up when they hook up on a good one & then net their fish & take pics of them. I've done it with coon & deer hunting etc. too. I really brag on them to a couple buddys about their bass fishing prowess even though my buddys know i'm just going on ( more like blowing up an onion sack about how they'll smoke my buddys *sses) when they do good & it tickles them to death. Needless to say i like starting the young guys off on the right foot.
    Last edited by Les Young; 12-17-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Heck, brag all you want, it's a great thing you have done! You've made a lasting impression and great memories for this young man, plus showing him the right way to act on the water and in tournament situations. Congratulations to the both of you!

7. Member
    Awesome..

8. Member
    That’s great! Well done

Good stuff
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

10. Member
    Congrats. He will be hooked for life and always have you to thank.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokyangler View Post
    Congrats. He will be hooked for life and always have you to thank.

Job well done sir!
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

13. Banned
    Congratulations

14. Member
    good story bet the young man is excited and hooked!

15. Member
    Well done gene!

Good job

17. Member
    Good on you!! The only thing that could've made the story better.......was a pic of you and Jacob holding some fish.

But now he will sell all his video games and spend all his money on fishing stuff. ;^)

19. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
    Good on you!! The only thing that could've made the story better.......was a pic of you and Jacob holding some fish.
    Here is our 1st place bag from Green River Lake...

20. Member
    Awesome!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast