Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

1990 200hp shakes when idling and when in gear going slow

20181216_172023.jpg
    Just bought today. there is alot of play in the top and bottom joint, Is this normal and is there a fix for it?

J200STLESE
    Last edited by Redman79; 12-18-2018 at 07:31 AM.

2. Member

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Can't tell from your pictures

4. Member
    20181216_172025 circle.jpg
    This is one joint that has a ton of slop or play in it.

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Can you take a video of the movement and post? Possible bad upper motor mount,,,,,

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

6. Member
    Yes will get you a small video tomorrow. I think i can set the phone up and shake the motor by hand.

7. Member
    i think all the play is in the top swivel part. dont know if that is the correct name. does that have bearings or how or what does it swivel on? i will still get a small video this evening when i get home.

8. Member

9. Member
    Let me know what yall think. I was looking at a exploded view of the midsection and i really didnt see any bearings. i seem some thrust washers but no bearings.

10. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    I'm curious what the experts have to say about this. I've got similar play (not quite as bad) on my 1991 Fast Strike.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

11. Member
    I just got this boat this past Sunday. I noticed when he took me out for a ride that it was shaking more than most outboards i have seen. It is not running the smoothest, i had one plug that was gummed up pretty good. I dont think it was firing. So when we put it back on trailer i started shaking it and noticed alot of play in that midsection. Some of these parts fron what i could tell cant even be purchased anymore. I hope someone has had this problem and can shine some light on it.

12. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Bad upper motor mount.

13. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Powerhead must be removed to replace. Invest in a real OMC repair manual and it will guide you thru the replacement process.

14. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Item number 38 on parts veiw. Also need power head to adapter mounting gasket item number 37. Dont buy a used one because chances are you will get one that is sloppy or bad. Been there and done that. With all the effort to replace it, why chance a used part. Do it once and do it right. Swivel arm has bushings/seals and grease zerks. Insure they are greased good as well. I didnt see much if any movement in the swivel in your video but still take a look at it for any while addressing the motor mount. If the motor has been in salt water, be careful removing bolts. Do a compression test first and find out why you have a gummed up plug and the shakes. It might require repairs that can be done while powerhead is off during mount replacement. Hopefully it is something small . Keep us posted

https://www.boats.net/catalog/johnso...990/j200stlese
    Last edited by omcforever; 12-18-2018 at 09:47 AM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Powerhead must be removed to replace. Invest in a real OMC repair manual and it will guide you thru the replacement process.
    The manual in the Sticky Threads, I am assuming that is a REAL OMC manual? Should be all i need correct?

16. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redman79 View Post
    The manual in the Sticky Threads, I am assuming that is a REAL OMC manual? Should be all i need correct?
    Yep,,,

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Looks like to me the steering arm bushings are worn out, everything has to come off, power head, lower unit and swivel bracket to replace them. Upper looks OK but you may want to replace it while you have the head off. Good luck. Order everything in the steering arm section. From the Nut up to the top of the bracket.

18. Member
    I have been reading the manual and i havent looked yet on the motor but will i need to remove flywheel to remove power head? That is the step by step process. Really dont seem to difficult to remove. My plan is to do a compression check tonight or tomorrow. Order my parts and maybe tackle it next week? How long do i need to let motor warm before compression check? I will need to use the "water muffs" correct? And is there somethings other things that need to be addressed while the power head is off? Dont want to have to do this more than once.

19. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Nope, you can leave the flywheel on. Lookd at th sticky for homemade lift ring. It has everything you need to make the tool. Yes you'll need the muffs to run the motor up to temp, 5 minutes is fine, you'll har the motor change tone when it comes out of high idle. Pull the kill switch and you can perform the test. You'll need a new powerhead to adapter plate gasket # 0333879

20. Member

Done my compression test after the warm up. Every cly was from 98-102. Does that seem a little low? I got pics of every cly. Cant post with my phone.
    Also check out my tac at about 20 sec mark in the video. What is causing that? Loose connection? Bad tac?
    I think you can also get a better idea of how the motor is shaking and wobbling just at idle.
    All the plugs are very wet? What am i looking for on a plug
    Mine are very wet and look to be "almost oily"
    Ton of smoke also is it getting to much oil?
    Sorry for all the questions. Not to familiar with these 2stroke motors. I need all the help i can get.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast