Thread: sutton lake

sutton lake

Anyone know if Sutton lake got messed up during hurricane. Is it still fishable??

2. Member
    was destroyed,

3. Fishing is a Passion
    NE Cape Fear River ran over the banks of Sutton, Not sure how the lake was actually affected.
    Last edited by JohnnyO; 12-27-2018 at 05:25 PM.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

4. Member
    Is it open for fishing now. Are there any fish left in it.

5. Member acoberhauser@hotmail.com's Avatar
    Fished it a couple weeks ago for a few hours and did not catch a thing. 3 other boats out with the same results. Water temps were 50 - 53.

Still lots of good fish in there
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

7. Member
    I think the last ABA they had there noone even caught a limit, like 7lbs won.... For the life of me I cant understand why people continue to have tournaments there. It took 3.29lbs to get a check in Bojangles there this year.

8. Member
    Not the Bojangles I fished. Check results before you post. took 18 lbs to win 14 and change to get a check. There will be allot of places affected from the storms last year. Way to premature to start predicting what the fishing will be like.
    Linestretch
    Angler's Choice / Triton Boats Pro Staff

9. Member
    I'm not sure (I guess nobody is yet) what the storms did to the lake itself. The biggest issue about Sutton is that it needs the plant to run. I don't think it's ran since the storm.

Back around the 1st of Dec. I stopped by and talked with a guy taking out. It was a fairly nice day but not warm by any means. He said he had caught a few. Nothing big. Sounded as if he knew the lake pretty good.

10. Member
    the good times there are gone , 3-4 years ago you could catch 50-100 per day in the cooler months , seen 35lb bags , caught several over 8 myself, but that was in the coal fired days and in feb, march, april, it was on fire, I dont know what will happen in the future, it is gin clear, and that makes it tuff too
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

I read a coal ash pond overflowed in a hurricane and was headed toward the lake also. That can't be good either.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCFatBoy View Post
    I read a coal ash pond overflowed in a hurricane and was headed toward the lake also. That can't be good either.
    Nope...didn't happen..................

BTW they have been running the plant some...A friend was down there a few weeks ago and said the water was in the 80's coming out of the ditch....Probably not with the temps in the 70's this week though....