Question about coolest temp and new merc monitor

Installed a new level one merc monitor and went to the lake . Sorry 07 225 pro xs 1b540866. Started motor and in cold water watched temps go up to 120 while idling out of cove. Stopped to play with electronics and when I started idling again would not climb over 60. Idled a long long way and finally went to 100. Question would it been ok to try to get on plane when it was reading in the sixties? Later on in day it seemed ok when I would shut it off to fish and restart it would read close to 120 and go down to around 110 with the motor running. Water temps were in the forties. Going to talk to my dealer Tuesday, just thought I would get your Input. Thanks

2. Member
    Anyone?

3. Member
    My guess is either trash in a thermostat or something in the merc monitor not reading correct.

Something is definitley wrong with the coolong system. Either the thermostats or poppit is not closing when it should. Pull the thermostats, check them for debris and proper operation in water. If all of that is good, check your poppit valve.

The mechanic in me says do not run it. If you are far from the ramp or in rough weather then do what you need to do. Getting on plane the way it is running now is greatly increasing the chances of a cold seizure.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Pull BOTH thermostats and inspect. You sucked up, or plowed some debris.

6. Member
    "Question would it been ok to try to get on plane when it was reading in the sixties?" NO!

Mercmonitor displays PCM values so readings were accurate. As mentioned above you most likely picked up some trash in the thermostats, do as suggested, remove and check to make sure no debris in them.

Thermostat removal/replacement for Optimax Engines
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1 to Savage and Silverfox579's above comments!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thanks everyone. I just don't understand why all boats don't tell temp. Without my new gauge I would never have known.