Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tzx190/ 18+zx190 owners...

Talk to me lol

I'm trying to get myself into a skeeter this spring and have a few questions

1. Storage!. How is it? The stock photos are ok but I Wana hear actual owner experiences and if ya have some pics of the bins loaded post em please

2. How does she ride?

Tks gents
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

2. Member
    Take a short drive to Towne Marine and check one out. They have several in stock. Storage depends on what you want. I have a FX 20 and at first filled every compartment. Lol now I run half empty. It really depends on what to want to carry. The ride depends a lot on your driving skills. Unless your on a large lake like Erie you will never notice a difference in the ride. I had both and the advantage of the 190 is off the water, easier to store and navigate when trailering.

Just my opinion but your so close to TM I would say go check them out.

3. Member
    ^I actually bought my javelin at Towne lol
    Its a 2 hour drive
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

4. Member
    Storage is pretty good for an 18 ft boat, I normally keep about 14 rods in the left locker all in rod socks - biggest one is 7' 6" and it fits. Middle compartment I have 6 370's standing up holding the stuff I use for the day plus 2 larger plastic storage bins for bulk items and overstock. Right compartment I keep my emergency paddle, life jackets and misc stuff. Back compartments are large enough for more stuff, I leave the one behind the passenger seat mostly empty so if anyone comes along there is room. Wish they would have included storage for smaller items under the seats or cut in a glove box similar to what the ZX190 used to have if the boat is a single console.

Mine has been out on Champlain in some rough water, ride was good pending I drove safely and did not push it speed wise. Mine is an early 2014 (Aug 2013) and so far has been really good overall, no complaints for what I paid for it.

5. Member
    I have an older (2008) zx190 and I can put an 8' rod on the deck and in the rod locker. It just barely fits on the deck without climbing the console.

6. Member
    Reason I ask about storage is I can crawl all the boat and look around but I wanna know what it will look like with all of my gear in it lol...never knew how much crap in had till I had to leave half of it at home cuz it won't fit in my javelin 170 lol
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

7. Member
    I have a TZX 190. The rod box will hold 10 rods with the tubes. But it will hold 18-20 if you
    remove the tubes. The center compartments will hold 14 3700 sized boxes each. I use one of them
    for that and the other holds 20+ xl zip lock bags full of plastics with room for my PFD on top. The right side box has the line spooling station option. Waste of money. In it, I keep a regular sized landing net, the nav lights, throw cushion, extra PFDs for co angler, lean post and cushion. Both back storage boxes are mostly empty. I leave the port side box empty for co anglers. The starboard side has spare props for the motor and ultrex, as well as transom saver and steering clips. Room for rain suit in there with that stuff. Live wells are awesome as well as the bilge/battery area. I have 4 Group 31 Optimas, a 3 bank and a single bank charger, two fuel tanks and plenty of room for two PP pumps when I get them.

Other stuff? Rigging the boat is very easy. I can easily run cabling how to stern. Only need to remove the rear box inserts. I have the dual console, so it’s a little cramped getting to the front deck. The front deck will easily allow for a big ultrex pedal, two Lowrance Carbons, and 8-10 rods on the deck with room to fish still. The “ice” chest sucks. Ice doesn’t last very long in it.

I have a 150 4s and a 12” slide master. It tops out at 62 -63 GPS depending on temps and load. It is a choppy ride in big lakes with wind, but it makes up for it if you fish timber and docks a lot. It gets to places and maneuvers in and around docks and timber better than any bigger (and a few smaller) boats. I love mine, and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend one if your are in the market for an 18-19 ft boat.

8. Member
    ^^^^
    Perfect...that's the response I was really lookin for...tks!
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

9. Member
    If you want a boat that loves to porpoise and hop get the TZX19! You better try it before you buy. It's terrible!

10. Member
    I had a 2012 TZX190. I liked it but it was a plane Jain boat. The 2018 ZX190 is basically what the TZX190 was. Wasn't a problem but if your looking for more bells and whistles look for a 2016-2017 ZX190. I sold mine for a ZX200. If possible find one of those.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RDOCK View Post
    If you want a boat that loves to porpoise and hop get the TZX19! You better try it before you buy. It's terrible!
    Never had one issue with mine doing it, perhaps your setup or weight distribution is off in the boat? Prop messed up? I have run by myself and sometime fish three and never had problems pending the boat is trimmed correctly for take off and coming back down after running. Have you measured prop to pad and tried some different settings?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RDOCK View Post
    Your 190 was not setup correctly by you after purchase. End of this story. Or, well, you get what’s coming next without me going there. Haha.

Mine doesn’t bounce. But, I have the set back at the correct height for the length and weight and the correct prop for the length and weight. I also have been a boat owner for long time, and know how to pilot one so it doesn’t bounce.

Maybe you just need to work on the boats adjustments and your approach to piloting the boat. I can make mine bounce, but I choose not to let it.

13. Member
    My boat was brand new from the factory! So why would I not think that it wasn't set up right. Do they just throw a motor on and a prop and hope for the best. I didn't know I have to adjust every thing to get it right. Maybe I'm not an adjustment pro. I didn't think a new boat needed to have all of these adjustments. I would hope the prop they put on it at the factory is the right one for the boat.

14. Member
    I owned a 2014 tzx 190 ran great out of the box with factory settings , its not the boat it's the way you drive it need to learn to trim her out at the correct speeds or she'll bounce and jump all over the place . I owned a Ranger before this and I liked the Skeeter better. Good luck with Your choice Mines for sale at Townemarine under used boat and it's loaded and shes runs great with a 175 hpdi I took good care of her , worth looking at.

15. Member
    I had a 2015 TZX190 with a 175sho. Overall I liked the boat. The 175sho was so so, the mid-range and top end were fine. The holeshot was slow, especially with a tournament load with 2 anglers. The ride was great for an 18.5ft boat. Very stable and responsive. No chine walk. It will porpoise, you have to learn to trim all the way down before slowing down. My previous Triton and current BassCat do not do that. I tried a hydraulic jackplate and different props, the holeshot improved slightly, but it will still porpoise if not trimmed all the way down first. Storage is fine. I made both center compartments storage. The compartment behind the driver was my cooler. I placed a large soft cooler with a yeti ice pack in there. It kept drinks cool all day. I sold the Skeeter for a BassCat PII. Over all I liked the Skeeter.
    Brad Krone

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pajoe329 View Post
    I owned a 2014 tzx 190 ran great out of the box with factory settings , its not the boat it's the way you drive it need to learn to trim her out at the correct speeds or she'll bounce and jump all over the place . I owned a Ranger before this and I liked the Skeeter better. Good luck with Your choice Mines for sale at Townemarine under used boat and it's loaded and shes runs great with a 175 hpdi I took good care of her , worth looking at.
    The silver one with poles?
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

17. Member
    COLDSVT , yep the one with the poles , any questions just ask , the trailer is a 2016 I don't know if they listed it but when I bought her the paint flacked off the trailer and ez loader replaced the trailer instead of repainting .with a new one

18. Member
    I bought a new 2012 TZX190 and when I got it you couldn't hardly get the boat over 5000 RPM with two people in it. You couldn't open the bilge lid with the motor trimmed up or worse you would bend the throttle cable. Guess what? In 2012 the TZX 190 didn't come with a jack plate and the motor was mounted too low. So yes, you can get a boat from the factory that has issues and it's not driver's fault. I had to pay out of my own pocket for a jack plate to get more RPM and be able to open my bilge lid, others I know their dealer put on the jack plate for free or just laber! And in 2013 Skeeter started putting the jack plate on the boat from the factory. Guess they realized their mistake. I had issues with my 2018 ZX200 bouncing and jumping all over the place in rough water as well. I had to lower the jack plate down a 1/4" inch to make the problem a little better. Was there was driver education needed as well sure, but for the most part it was factory setup. So as the other poster said, I expect the boat will come from the factory with the required setup so I as the owner don't need to make major changes to make it handle better.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

19. Member
    COLDSVT , yep the one with the poles , any questions just ask , the trailer is a 2016 I don't know if they listed it but when I bought her the paint flacked off the trailer and ez loader replaced the trailer instead of repainting .with a new one
    It is listed...looks super clean
    How did you mount the ducer to the jack plate? I like that
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

20. Member
    The one up at the bow is a gen 3 and the ducer is a chirp & down scan hd ducer mounted on the troll motor with transducershield & saver then the gen 2 ducer is mounted in the hull with opexy the elite is a total scan ducer side scan and down scan and mounted on jack plate with also a transducershield and saver which is very sturdy all are 9 inch screens we took good care of her and she does get out of the hole quick and nice with the 175 on her both poles are also c-monster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast