F195 Update : Likes and dislikes

Ok, so the remote drain plug issue is resolved so far. (Thanks all for info and suggesting Fleka Seal).

Now, update on issues, running, etc.

Today I had a tourny. So yesterday, I leave to head out of town to stay night at my dads (He was fishing with me). I stopped to put more gas in the boat (had little over half tank). I crack the gas cap, and gas spews all over me, the boat and trailer. Needless to say I was po. Cleaned up the boat and trailer, finished putting gas in (230pm central) and had go back home change clothes. Called Falcon, spoke with a tech and he said it was due to the pressurized gas tanks they have to use due to EPA regs. He said it builds up pressure over time. I was like ok. So on with the 3 half hour ride to my dads. I get to his house and got the boat settled, we were talking and he said his never did that (same type of gas cap), then he proceeds to open the cap and , wham it explodes/spews gas all over him and the boat (630pm central). So I clean it up again, and now I am really po. You mean to tell me within 4 hours it built up that much pressure? I DONT THINK SO.. I will test tomorrow on Sunday in yard (be prepared) and if needed I will be calling the dealer about this. If this hold, that means every time I go to put gas in the boat I can expect this.. I dont think so, 17 years and my Triton never did this.

Now, on to the tourny. This is the first time I had a person (Father) in the boat with me. By myself the boat comes out of the hole good, even with 3/4 tank of gas , water in live well and chilly days with water temps in 50s.

Today, not so much, water temp 47-50, boat was real sluggish out of the hole. Few times, I mean stands up and struggles to get on plane. Once on plane, it ran good, could only get 63-64 today, in water temps in high 40s, and real windy conditions. I am still in the break in process , engine only has 7 hours on it.

I am running a manual jackplate, Scorpion prop (9561-151-24) 24 pitch. So, I am thinking if I drop the jack plate a 1/2 inch to inch it may help. I know some people are running 23 pitch with good results. Any suggestions??

Thanks

Jason Davis, MSgt, USAF, Retired

IF YOUR NOT GETTING HUNG UP, YOUR NOT FISHING WHERE THE FISH ARE!!"

2019 Falcon 195
    2019 Yamaha SHO 200 w 23P Fury
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    Helix 9 SI with Mega (Console)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

2. Member
    It actually could be the new tanks causing the problem. Is there a vent anywhere? That scorpion runs really stiff from what I read about it, like 2 pitches stiff. A 23 would help but raising your motor instead of lowering might help as well. I dont run a falcon but on my phoenix the best holeshot is with the plate all the way up and coming down as I plane out. Ofcourse I have hydraulic but if you can find the happy medium ypu should be good. And my holeshot slows down loaded on tourney day too. I just installed a Chris bailey foil to see how much that helps. Hope to try it next week

3. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    First thing I do on my Cat’s when I get them with my SHO’s is put a fury 3 blade on it. Makes a world of difference.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    First thing I do on my Cat’s when I get them with my SHO’s is put a fury 3 blade on it. Makes a world of difference.
    What he said...I have a 250 sho and run a fury prop. My gas cap is pressurized every time I open mine. In my opinion the problem is the vent comes out beside the fill hose which is behind the gas cap. Ask me how I know...I've had mine completely apart.

5. Member
    Higher motor placement for better holeshot.
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

6. Member
    Sorry about the gas filling issues. Mine when I first got it home from the factory took me about 20 minutes to fill it because all the air pressure was flipping the trigger on the pump handle. I had to barely pour it in there. I’ve never had mine shoot out like that. But, mines a 50 gallon tank and probably sits different compare to the one in the 195. Yes, when I stop to fill it up and open the gas cap it has pressure and shoots out air. But, I’ve never had it shoot gas out. I’d try a different prop. Sounds like you might have too much. But, I’m not familiar with yamaha’s either. My G2 likes to run high and going up from factory settings helped holeshot, handling, and speed. I went to a hydraulic plate on my 2019 model because the z-lock’s took too much time to mess with on my first one.

Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions. I raised the jack plate 1/2 inch. Tested today, shot out of hole much quicker (me only) than before. Water pressure was good still 17-18 psi. I will have to wait and see how it does on next tourny with 2 people. As far as the gas, guess I will have to wait and see what happens next time I fill it up.

Thanks

2019 Falcon 195
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

8. Banned
    Did you contact Falcon about the gas issue? That's not normal. It is normal for pressure to be released when opening the gas cap, but not for gas to shoot out. Tells me that the vent line is routed incorrectly. That it has a low spot instead of being routed constantly upward from the tank to the gas cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Did you contact Falcon about the gas issue? That's not normal. It is normal for pressure to be released when opening the gas cap, but not for gas to shoot out. Tells me that the vent line is routed incorrectly. That it has a low spot instead of being routed constantly upward from the tank to the gas cap.
    Riccochet,

I have not called back. I am gonna wait and see what happens when I fill up again. I have documented the incident and will remind them if need be. So ? for ya'll. If it turns out to be line is not routed correctly or something similar. That will be an expensive fix, as I imagine they will have to remove the top cap to repair?

Just wondering.

Thanks

2019 Falcon 195
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

10. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tritonboy2001 View Post
    ...Called Falcon, spoke with a tech and he said it was due to the pressurized gas tanks they have to use due to EPA regs.
    Ain't never heard of that one unless it is something new. I figured all tanks or gas caps are vented ...

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Ain't never heard of that one unless it is something new. I figured all tanks or gas caps are vented ...
    Not for years now. They're required to use non-vented gas caps to comply with EPA regulations.

To me, it sounds like fuel is pooling in the vent line. Sitting in there like water in a drains P trap, when it should be draining back in to the tank.

12. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Not for years now. They're required to use non-vented gas caps to comply with EPA regulations.
    Must be since my 07. The gas tank is vented on the starboard side on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Must be since my 07. The gas tank is vented on the starboard side on it.

Its crazy, the rep at the factory told me that all boats now built must have a pressurized tank, EPA rules. So, its new on me as well, 2 times in 1 day is really crazy. If it does it again, I will call dealer and have them come pick it up and bring me a boat I can use while mine is being repaired. Hasn't been in my possession for 2 months and already multiple problems I am having to work out. Hope this does not continue.

2019 Falcon 195
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

14. Member
    They will not have to take the top cap off. The portion of the back deck that is directly above the fuel tank is all that will come off. Its held down with 5 screws and takes about 5 minutes to take off. The vent line is ran on along the top of the fuel tank.
    Last edited by JK; 12-17-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JK View Post
    They will not have to take the top cap off. The portion of the back deck that is directly above the fuel tank is all that will come off. Its held down with 5 screws and takes about 5 minuets to take off. The vent line is ran on along the top of the fuel tank.
    Ok thanks for the info good to know.

2019 Falcon 195
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

16. Member
    As others have stated. The fuel system on all boats have to meet new EPA standards. They are all pressurized to a point. When opening my fuel cap, a bit of pressure is always released, but never excessive and never fuel. I am sure your Falcon dealer will take care of the issue. Its probably a kinked vent hose or blockage in the vent system.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

17. Member
    How fast does this 195 run with a 200?

Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT196 View Post
    How fast does this 195 run with a 200?
    Scott,

Be honest, I am still breaking it in, playing with Jack Plate and thinking of changing props. However, my dealer told me that the Falcon factory..actually Owner, told him they got 74 to 75 out of it. Me, I have got up to 70.1, 70.3 (full tourny load, over 1/2 tank of gas, water in wells) , but I am only turning now 5600RPMs. Thinking of going to 24 Fury , get rpms up and should be able to get more mph.. I love the boat, fishes well, handles well, runs different than my previous Triton, but so far so good.

2019 Falcon 195
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k