Imaging Freezing Helix 10 gen 2

I just recently started having problems where the side imaging is freezing up, I restored defaults this afternoon and still having problems. If I switch to map screen it is fine...just having problems with the imaging....Any easy checks? I am networking, helix 10, Helix 12, 1199, 1198, 360 imaging and I-pilot. No other problems on other units.

2. Member
    You have quite a bit of electronics in your boat. Is everything off one battery? A poor connection at one unit might be an indicator of marginal power and a weak connection singled out your Helix 10 or networking problems with possible lower than average power.

3. Member
    It is running all off one battery. Just a few month old Optima 31....I would think if it were battery related I would be having issues with other units which I am not. Could be a connection issue with the unit somewhere.... ��
    Last edited by twa; 12-15-2018 at 08:56 PM.

4. Member
    Is that also your starting battery? What I was trying to say was with all that load your power may be marginal and any deficit at any unit may cause a problem. Could also be at your network switch with freezing issues. Your units will all have their own tolerance for low power. From memory you have 4 different iterations of units, Some are more power sensitive than others even among the same model units. Just a possibility to keep in mind. Bob

5. Member
    Thanks Bob....that is my starting battery as well. Unfortunately there is 0 room for another battery. Running 3 for the 36 Volt ultrex and the optima for starting and graphs. Weird thing is it has been running fine...just the last few trips is when I started having problems. Maybe next time out I will run it by itself with other graphs turned off and see if that helps. If you put your units on stand by does that cut the power down...just thinking ahead for possible solution. I am also running a hydrowave and livewells which isn't helping as far as power goes.
    Last edited by twa; 12-15-2018 at 09:19 PM.

6. Member
    That is a big load for the Optima. Maybe you can squeeze a lithium battery in a storage compartment? Make sure your connections are very good and charge that battery up as often as you can. Bob

7. Member
    What really seems strange to me is that it is just the imaging screen freezing up....no others......is that common with power problems?

8. Member
    With all that stuff hooked together. Both networked and powerwise you might have interference issues and the higher the frequency the more RFI will show up. I have an Optima starter. It runs everything except the Electronics in my boat. Tha blue top 31 only has a 74 amp hour capacity. That is cutting it close in my opinion. Bob

9. Member
    Thanks for replying Bob...,I think the easiest way to tell if this is the problem is to get back out and just run the one unit and see if I still have issues. Won't be tomorrow though.....I am going to shoot some ducks

10. Member
    Update...I got on the water today and did some trouble shooting. It is not a power issue. I ran the unit by itself and have narrowed it down to depth reading. When I hit a drop or ledge the unit will not pick up the bottom and freezes I took the auto depth off and set my range at 100 foot and that seemed to help some but not completely. Bad transducer?

That is probably the depth glitch that is still being worked on to resolve. There have been several threads about it.
    This is one of them: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=943234
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    Hmm didn't really see much on that thread about the units freezing up with the depth issue. I am running the 1.64 version.....do you recommend going to the 1.83?
    Last edited by twa; 12-16-2018 at 09:10 PM.

13. Member
    Well I updated to the 1.83 current software....will keep my fingers crossed that this fixes it.

14. Member
    I am following up on this thread....I sent the unit back to the factory and they said nothing was wrong with it and sent me a new transducer, I planned on having my dealer install this week. But weird thing happened while on Table Rock this past weekend. Everything worked like a champ, reading great all day.... next day not SI, No DI, no 2D for two days straight. Any ideas?

15. Member
    intermittent problems and problems that cannot be reproduced on a bench are difficult for HB to service. I had an intermittent problem with a Helix 5. First I made sure it was not an electrical or install problem and documented my elimination steps. Then I provided photos of the unit malfunctioning. HB did correct the issue when I provided enough evidence. Still hard to say what your issue may be but try the new transducer first.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    intermittent problems and problems that cannot be reproduced on a bench are difficult for HB to service. I had an intermittent problem with a Helix 5. First I made sure it was not an electrical or install problem and documented my elimination steps. Then I provided photos of the unit malfunctioning. HB did correct the issue when I provided enough evidence. Still hard to say what your issue may be but try the new transducer first.
    thanks for the reply. I have been taking video of my problems....I agree next step is new transducer...keeping my fingers crossed!