2011 225 sho oil smoke

I was returning to weigh in today and had a now wake zone about a mile before ramp. Idiled through zone and went to get back on pad, motor was very sluggish and would not get back over 5400 rpms at full trim. When I got to the ramp set boat down and noticed (blue smoke) while idling to dock to drop off partner. I cut motor off and waited a few minutes then restarted and again (blue smoke). Will get compression test done next week and go from there but out of curiosity has anyone experienced this before?

2. Member
    What is the service history of this motor? Is the oil at the correct level and the correct viscosity?
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

3. Member
    Motor is at 200hrs, oil is at correct level. Have only used yahama oil at oil changes with oil being changed before the 100hrs time. Was planning to change oil this week which would be the 5th oil change since I have owned it. Bought boat used with 44 hrs on motor.

4. Member
    Was the motor knocking or missing at idle? Let us know how the compression test comes out.
    David Patten

5. Member
    No, was not knocking or making any strange noises.

6. Member
    Did compression test this afternoon (with a cold motor) and throttle closed, know it’s not the specified way but I didn’t want to run motor until I had some ideal about any damage. Anyway compression was: 172 on one cyclinder, 170 on 3cyclinders and 165 on two cyclinders, not sure how much the hose on test garage will affect it but hose was 14” long. Would this be good, bad or no way to tell?

7. Member
    Those compression numbers are fine, although a test on a hot engine with the throttle open would be a bit more accurate.

How did the plugs look? Did any of them look more fouled than the others?
    David Patten

8. Member
    They all looked about the same not fouled but ready to be changed. I change them along with filters and lower unit fluid every year
    (usually in November) but a few week behind this year.

This happened to my 2011 200SHO right before a tournament and it was a cracked block from what my dealer/Yamaha told me. The long block was replaced under warranty (at the time). The amount of smoke that came out of the motor was like I was warming up the tires at the 1/4 mile dragstrip for reference. Hope you don't have any major issues but that's concerning for sure if there were significant amounts of smoke.

10. Member
    Dealer is going to install a new block, turns out mine was in the recall.

11. Member
    That’s great news.
    David Patten