water pressure question.

I have a 96 gambler with a 96 mercury 200efi. When I bought it 9 months ago the water pressure at idle was and still is at 2 to 3lbs, and at wot about 8. The lower unit has has 8 pickups on each side, when I purchased it the top 3 were plugged. I have replaced the thermostats, the poppet valve, and the entire water pump, I also (after fighting and or LEARNING CURVE of chine walking) I measured the prop shaft and pad which sits at 3 1/2 inches below pad so I removed the plugs from the top 3 inlets ( figured they were plenty low enough). After all of this my top end pressure improved a bit but I still feel it's too low, it improved to 11 to 12lbs. I am about to install the mercury high speed covers but my question is this, my pressure guage is currently plugged in inside the lower unit, would I get a better ( or more accurate ) reading if I plug it off in the lower unit and tap it into my crossover hose between the heads? Thank you everyone for any info.
    2000 Tr21, 225 EFI

2. Member
    Gauge is probably defective....

Water pressure gauge should be tee'd into the line that runs from the top of the block to the poppet cover. The lower unit connection is for the speedo - so if you are indeed connected there and getting pressure when not moving - yup - gauge is pooched. If you search in the 2.5 forum, there is a photo of correct connection point.