Bass Sport help.

Helping a friend who has a new 36 volt trolling motor. The current set up is only 24 Volts. The 2 trolling batteries are upfront and the starter is in port rear. Should it have wiring already there for 36 volts or will I have to re design the whole thing? Any help appreciatad.

2. Member
    I am no electrician but I believe, more volts draws less amps so the wire size should be ok. Going to 12 bolt with same power would require larger wire....

Yes sir what. I'm wondering..since there is only room for two batteries up front if there is a pre existing wires that can be used or will I have to run jumpers to somewhere ?

4. BBC SPONSOR
    To go 36v you will have to add the 3rd battery (obviously) and the required wiring from the troller battery compartment to the 3rd battery location.

The best way to add a 3rd troller battery to the BasSport IMO is to get the oil tank/battery box tray (pre EPA fuel tank) if you dont have it already and mount the battery in the bilge just in front of the fuel tank. This will keep the extra weight over the center of the boat. From there it is fairly easy to route the power cables up the port side to the battery box.

Make sure you are using a 60a circuit breaker, and I would put the rear battery in the middle of the series to make wiring much easier.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

5. Member
    Could go to lithium batteries. Just be ready for sticker shock.

6. Member
    My boat had a 24V troller with both trolling batteries in the front center compartment. My crank battery is in rear port box.

When I switched to a 36V, I simply added the 3rd battery in front of the 2 batteries by sitting it in a battery box and strapping it down. It hasn't moved around that I can tell. I then ran a short jumper wire to put all three 12V trolling batteries in series.

My boat has a stealth on board AC charger and the charge on the run charger. It had a silver metal bridge on the exterior between 2 screws providing 24V. When the metal bridge is removed, it sends 36V instead of 24V. This is written on the charger.

I have considered moving one of the batteries to the rear center box in front of the fuel tank as Tim described just to get the weight out of the front.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

Thanks guys I was hoping they had some extra wire in place to make it easy. Was already looking at placing new battery in front of fuel tank if it was mine I would also put the starting battery there. Thanks again!!!!

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Thanks guys I was hoping they had some extra wire in place to make it easy. Was already looking at placing new battery in front of fuel tank if it was mine I would also put the starting battery there. Thanks again!!!!
    I like the cranker on the port side for ballast, if mine was in the center I would have to add a stupid amount of weight port side when solo.....or quit eating
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    I like the cranker on the port side for ballast, if mine was in the center I would have to add a stupid amount of weight port side when solo.....or quit eating
    In this case, I will need 4 batteries on the port side... At least until my New Year diet resolution kicks in.

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

In a ProSport my cooler normally has enough ballast..

13. Member

What cooler? Lol. Tim Powell is going to make a custom integrated cooler since Darris forgot...
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

14. BBC SPONSOR
    That was one thing I liked about the Prosport while I was testing a 250 Sport XS....it took very little ballast to balance.
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

15. Member
    That was one thing I liked about the Prosport while I was testing a 250 Sport XS....it took very little ballast to balance.
    That's my experience as well with the troller installed... but I'm a newb and what I think doesn't count... hence why I wanted a more seasoned person to drive it!

16. Member
    These boats love the troller off of them. Lite is right

17. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    These boats love the troller off of them. Lite is right
    But loaded is where its at!
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

18. Member
    Nathan isn't interested in fishing... he just wants to beat the streams lol