Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Alarm sounds at hole shot

2008 Ranger Z-21. 2008 Mercury 250 Pro XS. 565 hours on engine. Motor was recently serviced by previous owner. Just got this boat 3 weeks ago. This was the fifth trip out in the boat. Everything was normal on the previous trips out.

Launched the boat and fished several spots and everything was normal. Started the engine on forth or fifth spot. Engine started normally. When I accelerated the Smartcraft alarm went off. I tried again and it went off again. I looked at the Smartcraft display and it looked normal. Water temperature is good but put motor up to check for obstructions at water intakes. They were clear. Plenty of oil in the oil reservoir. Small oil tank under the motor cowling was full. Started again and accelerated slowly and no alarm went off, but engine now has a slight erratic miss. Drove back about 5 miles to the ramp and loaded the boat. Miss seems to come and go. After arriving home I took off the cowling and inspected for something unusual. Everything seems to look ok. Anyone have any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator
    Serial Number added. Ser.#1B547033
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 12-20-2018 at 12:15 PM.

2. Member
    I have a 2009 250 pro xs...

Do you have a hydraulic Jack too? If so as you are getting on plane are you adjusting both the jack and the trim at the same time? If this is the case, your battery is being overtaxed at that moment. That beep is likely a low voltage beep. Battery is probably not bad but rather over stressed at just that moment of engine lugging and using to very large power consuming items at the same time. I get it all the time and ignore it because I know what is causing it and there is just no solution. They don't make a bigger battery then the one I have. Be sure to charge the battery overnight before you leave for fishing. Hopefully this is your only issue.

I would tighten all connections at the battery for sure. If you in fact have been charging the battery overnight and all connections are buttoned down, you may want to get the battery tested since you didn't have an issue before. Also be sure you have the proper battery. It needs to be a very strong 31 series battery. I use one similar to this monster...

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...1s30/2100096-P

Again mine has been doing this since I added the hydraulic jack.

Best wishes,

Tom

Is the oil tank on the motor filled all the way to the top (1/4 in preferably less air space)
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    Hi Tom, no jackplate. I did have a have a jackplate on my '07 Z-21, but never experienced the issue you mentioned.
    2008 Ranger Z-21
    2020 Mercury 250 Pro XS, 4 stroke
    Mod.# 12500033A, Ser.#2B697334
    Prop-Fury 3 blade 23 pitch
    Lower Unit, Torquemaster Gen-2
    System Monitor

5. Member
    Yes, I checked that. It is all the way to the top.
    2008 Ranger Z-21
    System Monitor

Was it a solid constant tone or beeps?

Get it to a shop to have the stored alarm codes read. That is the only way to know for sure.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    Honestly it sounds like a weak battery. Have it load checked to be sure. How old is the battery?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Is the oil tank on the motor filled all the way to the top (1/4 in preferably less air space)

I did did this too thought Just above a 1/4 tank would be fine .. but taking off moved the oil just enough to set the alarm off..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

9. Member
    Solid beep.
    2008 Ranger Z-21
    System Monitor

10. Member
    I just got the boat last month. I don't know how old the battery is, but I'm also thinking it might be the battery. I'm going to buy a new battery and see what happens.
    Now I need to figure out what battery to buy. I know that I need the most amp hours I can get and a group 31.
    2008 Ranger Z-21
    System Monitor

11. Member
    See the announcement and FAQ section at top of forum.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

I stand corrected on post #3. Be sure it is completely full to the top
    Thank You Leon Pugh

13. Member
    Continuous tone (no beep) is a critical alarm and there are many things that can cause one, shortest, most economical way to solution - WARNING HORN "BEEPED"
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Continuous tone (no beep) is a critical alarm and there are many things that can cause one, shortest, most economical way to solution - WARNING HORN "BEEPED"
    +1

Also, please take a few minutes to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and update your thread with the REQUIRED Information. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    +1 on battery or alternator. Watch your voltage the next time you take off

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

16. Member
    Just had the battery checked. It checks out ok. After I took it out there was a date sticker on the side. 1/18, not even a year old.
    Boat is going into the shop on Thursday to get checked out. I'm thinking alternator.
    2008 Ranger Z-21
    System Monitor

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1

Also, please take a few minutes to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and update your thread with the REQUIRED Information. Thanks!
    What don't I have that is required information?
    2008 Ranger Z-21
    System Monitor

18. Member
    Suspect Don didn't catch that you added your serial number to your signature. I didn't at first either when posted my most previous reply.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's it- I went ahead and tacked it into the original post for you. Thanks!

Suggest you go with the advise provided in Post#13. Get PRINTOUTS. The information there will lead almost directly to the correct solution (if the shop doesn't see it in the printouts, post them up here for review).

Given the dozens of possibilities it is very unlikely that you will "guess" the correct component or problem (you'll probably spend a TON of money trying, though).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

20. Member
    Well, I just got back from C&C Marine. They checked the motor and there were no codes thrown. The port thermostat had a little wood debris in it that was causing a slight overheat issue. Not enough to do any damage.
    Mechanic cleaned the thermostat and flushed the cooling system. All seems well. Hopefully there will be no issues on my next trip out. I will report back after my next trip. Thanks too all that contributed.
    Tony
    2008 Ranger Z-21
    System Monitor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast