Lap Band surgery.

Let's hear some experience you have had on Lap Band, Hopefully experience come's form FOLLOWING the correct procedure's needed to have a successful outcome.

2. Member
    I had a vertical sleeve done. Best move i made. It a tool to make you eat less, but for it to be successfull you have to make a lifestyle change. I went from 335 to 235 in less than a year. Havent had any complications.

3. Member
    I had a vsg on 12/3. Had a two week pre op liquid diet prior to that. Went from 326 to 287 as of this morning. No complications yet, looking forward to dropping a few more lbs.
    Last edited by jimbo188vs; 12-15-2018 at 12:59 PM.

4. Member
    I didn't do lap band but went on a the profile by Sanford plan. since june 1 I have lost 115 lbs. has been an easy to follow plan

5. Member
    I had the gastric sleeve procedure July 3, 2017. Down over 100lbs, went back to work in a week. Should have done it a decade ago. A work buddy had the lap band procedure several years ago and initially did well but not the complete results he had hoped for.

6. Member
    Work with 6 people that's had some form of that. It really changed/worked for 5 of them. The other didn't change nothing about their life habits. Lost some to start with but is now bigger than where started from.

7. Banned
    Girlfriend her sister and mother all had the procedure done. For the life of me I don't know why anyone would do that to themselves. Watching all 3 eat is pain full none of them can eat anything good for them or it comes back up but, crap food and candies will go right down. We have been talking about getting married and I told her removal of the band was one of my conditions or I won't say I do.

No carb diet works about the best
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

9. Banned
    This is a very serious decision to make. My step daughter had a Rue N Y procedure done about 20 years ago, as she'd gain weight just looking at food. The surgeon was the Father of Bariatric Surgery in Norfolk, and he had done over 1,200 surgeries at the time. He also had psychologists and a support staff to vet out potential bariatric surgery patients. He also had support meetings monthly--almost like AA meetings.

At first, she lost substantial weight, and leveled out at a healthy weight. But over time, her old eating habits returned and she's creeped up there in weight. Mary is now heavier than ever and she's just been miserable--completely out of energy. She can no longer walk well--at 51 years old. My wife talked her into going for a complete physical including a blood workup. All of her blood numbers are absolutely terrible--some frighteningly off kilter. The doctors said that it's like she's bleeding internally to start, and they really thought she had cancer.

After a full body MRI and a colonoscopy, they have discovered she has an extremely fatty liver and her stomach surgery is causing her to not absorb nutrients from food properly. And her stomach also keeps her from absorbing medicines orally. She had a transfusion of iron and feels 100% better--and will be getting monthly transfusion probably for life. She needs to follow a completely new diet and be under the care of a Registered Dietition--forever.

Yes, bariatric surgery works. But few people are mentally prepared for the lifestyle change that's required. And most will stretch out their stomachs and gain all the weight back. And yes, after gaining back the weight you might have serious physical problems not absorbing iron and general nutrition. We honestly don't believe our daughter will live to be very old in her morbidly obese condition with a defective liver. I'd prefer to go to a weight loss clinic and "speed" myself to lower weight first. It's all a lifestyle change.

10. Member
    Not me personally; but a friend had great results and has for years; eating healthy and appropriately.
    -
    Co-workers husband is about a year post-op and he’s bummed he’s not losing more weight. But, he still jams fast food in himself every opportunity; co-workers pretty hacked off about it too........can’t say I blame her. She’s an active person and healthy eater.
    -
    Sounds like if you follow doctors orders after the fact; it should prove beneficial. The mental aspect seems to be a struggle.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    For the life of me I don't know why anyone would do that to themselves.
    Everyone’s situation is different. For some, a bariatric procedure is life changing. It isn’t a miracle scenario and if a person can’t accept their eating habits must change then it’s money pumped down the chitter. I made an informed decision and my life has been transformed. You can take all your low carb and LA Diet crap diatribe and jam it, my life is my decision.

12. Member
    Ok, I had the sleeve surgery done about 4 years ago, I lost 100 pounds the first 10 months and over the next 2 years gained back 20 pounds....right net 80 pounds in loss. I have been able to stay at that weight ever since and for the people here with weight issues you know staying at the same weight for 3 years is tough for me it never happened before. For Jarhead175 I would guess that you have never had a weight issue because it is usually the people that have been thin all their life that say a comment like that, I am not trying to be an ahole or trying to start a rant its just my personal opinion ...naturally thin people just don't understand. I am a 6' tall 62 year old male and now after the surgery eat less than most small thin women eat and am still very over weight BUT 80 pounds smaller than I was. When I go out for dinner after I am done my doggie bag is generally enough for two more meals for me, thats not exaggerating the people on here who have had the sleeve surgery will know what I am talking about. For the original poster considering Lap Band I would suggest looking into sleeving, I started out with the plan to Lap Band as well and am so glad I sleeved instead

My hat is off to anyone trying to get better. I wish all of them nothing but success.

14. Member
    My wifes Dr. would not do the band surgery. She had the sleeve done about 2 months ago. She has lost about 45 lbs since the beginning of her liquid diet time, about two weeks before surgery. She has always been a bit heavy, but worked out alot to keep it under control. After a couple knee surgeries and a shoulder surgery, she can not keep up the with the constant work outs. She still goes to the gym a couple days a week but not as intense a workout as before. She put on some extra weight and was really bummed about it. I told her if she thinks it is what she needs to do to be happy, who am I to say no. When we go out to eat now she can eat just about anything she wants, but in VERY small amounts. Maybe a half a cup total intake, and no liquids with eating. We now have a lot of left overs for weekday lunches, which does not help my diet any lol. If you have never been heavy your whole life then you just dont understand. For some this is the only answer. I would say my wife has always been a small eater, but to some it just doesnt matter. Her goal is to get to 140 lbs in the next year or so. I believe she can do it, because she is one very dedicated woman in all she does. I am also very proud of her for taking the steps to get her life back to where she is happy. To me thats all that really matters.

15. Banned
    I am a good 50lbs over weight (5'10" 230lb). I just gave a honest opinion of what I have witnessed from 3 people that have a lap band.