Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

E15...Action Required

Coming to a neighborhood near you....this is going to become a real issue
    https://spark.adobe.com/page/dYPx7SjouAr2k/
    Last edited by tooboocoo; 12-15-2018 at 11:02 AM.

2. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Just put those stations on the BBC ban list. That will show them. Problem solved.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

I don't remember which Internet site I was on, but a know it all says " using ethanol won't hurt any outboard, I use it in both of mine". I told him my owner manual said DO NOT USE ETHANOL. Being an Internet expert, he said that wasn't true---- and he used it in his 9.9 and some other small outboard. I snapped a picture of the page in my outboard owner's manual and posted it.

His big come back ----- DOH, I wouldn't own that outboard.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    I don't remember which Internet site I was on, but a know it all says " using ethanol won't hurt any outboard, I use it in both of mine". I told him my owner manual said DO NOT USE ETHANOL. Being an Internet expert, he said that wasn't true---- and he used it in his 9.9 and some other small outboard. I snapped a picture of the page in my outboard owner's manual and posted it.

He has a special brand huh...

5. Member

Many older outboards did not have the fuel lines or rubber parts in the fuel pumps or carburators that could withstand the ethanol in the fuel and contact with the ethanol would cause those rubber parts to swell and deteriorate.

I would say that many of these older outboards if still in service today that most of the parts that the ethanol would have harmed and comes in contact with has probably been replaced just due to the age and deterioration of those rubber parts due to age.

Otherwise there is no reason that an older outboard cannot be ran fine with no damage from the ethanol fuel.

Granted if non ethanol fuel is available and in a small outboard where the higher cost is minimal I would continue to use non ethanol fuel regardless of the motors age.

Ethanol is alcohol and alcohol attracts moisture and over fairly short time frames the ethanol fuels can be subject to phase separation causing problems plus the shelf life of ethanol fuel is much shorter than non ethanol fuels.

If the E-15 is available in an area the person pumping the fuel will just have to be careful of which nozzle they are grabbing if buying fuel for anything other than a newer car.

Quote Originally Posted by v_fourmax View Post
    Many older outboards did not have the fuel lines or rubber parts in the fuel pumps or carburators that could withstand the ethanol in the fuel and contact with the ethanol would cause those rubber parts to swell and deteriorate.

I would say that many of these older outboards if still in service today that most of the parts that the ethanol would have harmed and comes in contact with has probably been replaced just due to the age and deterioration of those rubber parts due to age.

Otherwise there is no reason that an older outboard cannot be ran fine with no damage from the ethanol fuel.

Granted if non ethanol fuel is available and in a small outboard where the higher cost is minimal I would continue to use non ethanol fuel regardless of the motors age.

Ethanol is alcohol and alcohol attracts moisture and over fairly short time frames the ethanol fuels can be subject to phase separation causing problems plus the shelf life of ethanol fuel is much shorter than non ethanol fuels.

If the E-15 is available in an area the person pumping the fuel will just have to be careful of which nozzle they are grabbing if buying fuel for anything other than a newer car.

Mine---- 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

Except for the spark plugs, fuel filter, sending the injectors in to be cleaned and tested, and the oil reserve filter cleaned----- everything is factory.

We have non-ethanol gas here.

7. Member
    Station down the street just put new e15 tanks in

8. Member
    Mine---- 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

Except for the spark plugs, fuel filter, sending the injectors in to be cleaned and tested, and the oil reserve filter cleaned----- everything is factory.

We have non-ethanol gas here.
    I would guess you have at least near one of the last of the model year production motors that were not ethanol rated compatible out of the crate.

Still the same as what I previously said that at worst you would need to update any rubber seals or o rings and rubber fuel lines in the fuel system or fuel pump to ethanol compatible pieces and it should be fine. I am not familiar with your engine but I would guess that the injectors may have o ring seals that were probably replaced when the injectors were removed and serviced and again upgrading any rubber fuel lines within the cowl plus any rubber fuel pump seals or diaphrams really should be the most that would be required.

Would not be hard to inquire with a top notch Yamaha dealer what may need to be updated. Even if I was not planning on running ethanol fuel updating the motor to be capable of safely running it would not be a bad option in this day and age. Never know when something could happen and you needed fuel in the boat and the non ethanol for whatever reason would not be available.

9. Banned
    Going to keep paying a little more for non ethanol gas near me!

10. Member
    If people would not buy it they wont carry it.

11. Member
    What chaps me is that ethanol gas gets worse gas milage and is more inefficient than straight gas
    whatroads - A pun on the "information super highway"
    Tracker 190 TX
    90 hp Merc
    Fortrex 80 w/ 52" shaft

12. Member
    We have gasoline, E10, E15, E85 and diesel on the pump islands.
    It's not that complicated. Pick the one that suits the application.

13. Member
    If NASCAR can run E85 in there cars there's no reason you can't run E15 in your outboard...most gas you buy today is more than 10% ethanol anyway..
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce2 View Post
    If NASCAR can run E85 in there cars there's no reason you can't run E15 in your outboard...most gas you buy today is more than 10% ethanol anyway..
    COMPLETELY different. Some of their engines dont last 500 miles and are rebuilt after every race. No comparison really as their parts never see the wear and tear of years of running a consumer vehicle will. Ethanol is a scam IMO. It's all about the topic which cant be talked about here. Gas is more efficient

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    COMPLETELY different. Some of their engines dont last 500 miles and are rebuilt after every race. No comparison really as their parts never see the wear and tear of years of running a consumer vehicle will. Ethanol is a scam IMO. It's all about the topic which cant be talked about here. Gas is more efficient
    THIS.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whatroads View Post
    What chaps me is that ethanol gas gets worse gas milage and is more inefficient than straight gas
    Don't go using logic and common sense with the government. It has no place there!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    We have gasoline, E10, E15, E85 and diesel on the pump islands.
    It's not that complicated. Pick the one that suits the application.
    That would require some common sense, a rare comodity these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce2 View Post
    In Missouri that may be true, your state has mandated ethanol, ethanol isn't even marked on most the pumps. We have ethanol and non-ethanol gas at some stations. So----- do you run The E-85 in your vehicles, and outboard, and if not-- why not?

with your comment---- Force, Beckman, and the Cruzer run Nitro in their cars, so you should be able to run it also

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    How does the longevity of an engine make any difference to whether an engine has 10 or 15% ethanol?

It may not be as efficient and use more fuel per mile but as long as the fuel system is designed to withstand the ethanol it should be no difference in actual engine longevity.

As long as the octane rating is high enough to prevent detonation and the combustion chamber temps and pressures are within specs the engine as far as longevity does not care the make up in the fuel that is going boom! Actually I would guess the alcohol content would probably help keep the combustion chamber cleaner but that is just speculation on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    If people would not buy it they wont carry it.
    THIS^^^. And if folks would refuse to buy flex fuel vehicles that can run the high ethanol crap, manufactures would stop making vehicles that could run it and petroleum companies would have to stop producing it.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast