Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Good Stuff.

2. Member
    One of the best fish catches ever filmed was in 1988 Megabucks at 2 minute mark. That catch by Larry Nixon was seen every week at the beginning of every Bassmaster episode.

3. Member
    How could they possibly have a tournament with only 150 hp boats?
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by JHelms View Post
    Fake news!! We know it is no possible to catch a fish with a rod under 7 1/2 foot long or with Mono line, in a boat the cost less than 70 grand and with a 150 on the back and then the ultimate No No, a coangler in the boat!!! Oh hell no this is as fake of a thing as Ive seen all year!!
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

Quote Originally Posted by DylanSam View Post
    One of the best fish catches ever filmed was in 1988 Megabucks at 2 minute mark. That catch by Larry Nixon was seen every week at the beginning of every Bassmaster episode.

That was one of my favorite shows.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RJR View Post
    are the fish bigger now than then? Not even 30 lbs for 14 fish won for 2 days. Are the fishermen better? Equipment better? It sure is enjoyable not watching a video game tournament.
    Think it’s a combination of it all. Looked like a lot of bank beating due to no electronics then other than a flasher.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

7. Member
    Fun times...

Thanks for posting great memories for sure.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    Think it’s a combination of it all. Looked like a lot of bank beating due to no electronics then other than a flasher.
    There may have been a lot of bank beating but it was in the same area as Randy Howell fished when he won the Classic there in fact that one bridge is the same bridge I believe.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

10. Banned
    are the fish bigger now than then? Not even 30 lbs for 14 fish won for 2 days. Are the fishermen better? Equipment better? It sure is enjoyable not watching a video game tournament.
    That was the Megabucks format, as I recall, they fished for four days and then the top 10 fished for one or two days in a limited " hole " format, where they rotated though 10 holes. That and the 7 fish limit confuse matters as to average weight. But overall, no , they did not catch the weights they do today. Fishermen have gotten better, as they should with all the information and knowledge out today.

And Guntersville went through a down period about that time. The state killed off the milfoil with spraying. Bass clubs protested, even had a huge parade of trucks hauling their bass boats, that I believe went to the State Capitol. I don't recall all the details, but they finally arrived at some type of compromise.

To my memory, Guntersville did not re-emerge as a tournament lake visited regularly till maybe the late 90's or early Oughts .

But I'm sure someone from the region could provide more detail about the lake at that time.

Start of the video said Tommy Biffle was leading over 30 pounds 7 fish. That's solid

12. Member
    All of the above, but I still liked it way better back then!

13. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by JHelms View Post
    How could they catch any fish in those small boats!!
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

14. Member
    That brings back some great memories. My dad had a Astroglass with a 75hp Johnson and my buddy's dad bought a Ranger with a 150 Black Max and we thought that was the coolest boat we had ever seen! Later on we put a Humminbird fish finder that showed fish in red! We thought we were big time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123