Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fortrex to ultrex

Been saving up and finally purchased an ultrex, how many beers and busted knuckles is it gonna take to swap them out? Boats in the shop getting a couple things done will have it back next week. How bad is the swap? 2015 921

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I went from MG to Ultrex and no issues....did have an extra hand as its has a little weight to it.... take your time and should be 1/2 day install......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Not bad unless you have big arms. May get a little fiberglass on the knuckles reaching underneath to get to the bolts. If you go back with stainless make sure you lube the threads so they dont gauld up.

The swap out of the TM is easy. It's all the secondary and tertiary crap that I had to take off and put back on that took the time. Plus you can always make the access hole in the bow larger. I think Andy posted a pic of the bow access hole from his boat which he cut larger some time back.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

5. Member
    just installed mine last week “ after watching a few u tube videos! I picked up a few tips ! it was an easy swap ! I did have to switch leads on my “ E start” battery jumper ‘ to the “ low side” of battery bank” !.... that was in the install manual !

6. Member
    After going slow on my friends and learning everything it took me 45 minutes to do mine alone. Follow Russell marines video and you'll be good. It's pretty easy. The calibration is easy too. YouTube is a lifesaver

7. Scraps
    Four beers.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Moderator
    Naw it’s gonna take longer than 20 mins
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Four beers.

9. Member
    my prop was way out of balance “ first time out ! , called Minn Kota support, new prop on the way “ hope it helps ? , otherwise ‘new Ultrex is “flawless” !......

10. Member
    Kipawa props. Dont know why more people arent using them. So far mine has been way better than any prop I've ever tried

11. Member
    Gonna try the “free” replacement prop first “ then get the Kipawa next !....

12. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Kipawa props. Dont know why more people arent using them. So far mine has been way better than any prop I've ever tried
    Cuzz nobody nose about them. I didn't. Amazon has them.
    2017 Phoenix 819

13. Member
    When you get ready to stick your arm up in there, two things I did.

Tape off the edges of the hole with duct tape, sure keeps the fiberglass out of your arm and clothes.

And whatever wrench you use, tape a piece of rope to the end so should it slip out of your hand, it won't be lost forever! (I didn't do it, but the thought crossed my mind!)

One more, if you use stainless lock nuts, get some Never Seize, or use brass lock nuts.

Enjoy!
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

14. Member
    Ultrex is awesome change mine last spring had fortrex all holes line up had the quick release plate on it.

15. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Phnx Ed View Post
    When you get ready to stick your arm up in there, two things I did.

Tape off the edges of the hole with duct tape, sure keeps the fiberglass out of your arm and clothes.

And whatever wrench you use, tape a piece of rope to the end so should it slip out of your hand, it won't be lost forever! (I didn't do it, but the thought crossed my mind!)

One more, if you use stainless lock nuts, get some Never Seize, or use brass lock nuts.

Enjoy!
    Yeah, I may still have glass shards in my arm from 10 years ago when I changed to Fortrex.
    2017 Phoenix 819

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Cuzz nobody nose about them. I didn't. Amazon has them.
    You can also order straight from kipawa I believe. They run about the same price as a minnkota prop. You cant run one of the eliminator nuts with them and the stick out more but it's a big difference in vibration and weed cutting on mine.

Two notes from my swap from a fortex to ultrex. If you are linking it to humminbirds be sure you have the current software on your units. Check the humminbird website ( myhumminbird is gone ) and compare to your unit. Next find the smallest and skinniest friend you have to hold the nuts under the fiberglass.

18. BBC SPONSOR
    https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...battery+tender

Put one of the above trolling motor connectors on the Ultrex instead of hard wiring it back under the deck. If you ever have to remove it again, you will be much happier. I send one to the Phoenix plant each year and have my boats rigged with them from the factory.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Has it increased your speed at all? Also which model did you buy if you have a 112? They sell them on tackle warehouse also and I have been thinking of grabbing one.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman920 View Post
    my prop was way out of balance “ first time out ! , called Minn Kota support, new prop on the way “ hope it helps ? , otherwise ‘new Ultrex is “flawless” !......
    Did you try to take the prop off and rotate it 180 degrees? Sometimes that helps on new undamaged props.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast