O Ring for Pro XS Oil Pump

SN: 1B704113
    2008 Pro XS 250

I am planning on replacing the o-ring on my leaking oil pump. I understand that I need a Viton/FKM o-ring. Does anyone have a part number or size recommendation that will work?

-Shane

2. Member
    I was just going to ask the same question and has anyone done it and it worked?

Can't confirm but I found this somewhere searching for same

"O-ring size 128 material 75 shore A Viton will fit"

Don't remember where I found it but I copied and saved the text

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That is the size others have posted for a COVER o-ring. Keep in mind that there are at least 7 other o-rings in that pump. Some say they've been successful, others not.

I'm always concerned about the other o-rings as well... especially since any leakage at one of those could affect the accurate oil output. Never been worth the risk for me.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    tn_20181221_143853.jpg Found the culprit of the leak was a crack in the brass housing, not a bad o-ring. Looks like a new pump is in order unfortunately. Any suggestion on where to get one for a reasonable price?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See Rhonda's post (at the top of the Forum)- she can certainly help you out.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    i bought a new pump decided not to risk it. Mercury needs to address this issue as it seems way to common and costing the consumer $500 plus for a .50 o ring failure.

8. Member
    The leaking oil pump is not even on Mercury's radar......Two Strokes are ancient history!

Quote Originally Posted by ser68 View Post
    i bought a new pump decided not to risk it. Mercury needs to address this issue as it seems way to common and costing the consumer $500 plus for a .50 o ring failure.
    Often the center sleeve cracks & cant be fixed (press fit). I have disassembled a dozen of them HOPING its just the O RING and 1 out of the 12 or so have been the o ring... I wouldn't risk a power-head failure for some reason it doesn't go back together right... There are 7 or so smaller o rings on plungers that could tear upon re assembly as well....

Give Rhonda a call and she'll treat you well.

10. Member
    I just went thru this exact same issue. I dissembled and replaced the oring. Had oil prime completed. Didnt leak a drop. Run motor completed engine mounted tank prime. Checked couple times during the day. Still no leak. So i decided to run the boat pretty hard. Pump started to leak again. So i dissembled the pump again. Yes the stem had a tiny crack. Which i found by blowing air from the opposite side and windex. Yes visually the crack was not noticeable. After reading on this board and a few others this issue does seem to be common. Has the stem design been improved any?
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No information on the internal design has been provided, but new part numbers (suspect through a new vendor) are the most current pump version.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    No information on the internal design has been provided, but new part numbers (suspect through a new vendor) are the most current pump version.
    So are your saying Mercury has a different replacement pump now ?

13. Member
    So i made a order from eourpean friday. I did notice the part number changed when i made the order. So i assuming ill receive the newest part #
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    The leaking oil pump is not even on Mercury's radar......Two Strokes are ancient history!
    You're correct!!!! Leaking oil pumps have never ever been on their radar....
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti

Quote Originally Posted by Redngoo View Post
    So i made a order from eourpean friday. I did notice the part number changed when i made the order. So i assuming ill receive the newest part #
    Hopefully the leak issue has been addressed and that's the reason for the change..

LOL.....crazy ant'n it.....

Pro XS 250 Oil Pump.jpg
    2013 Ranger Z520c Mercury 250 Pro XS
    1990 Ranger 361V 1991 Johnson 150 Fast Strike J150GLEIS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    What’s the new part number?

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrod35 View Post
    What’s the new part number?
    THAT depends on the engine- most later V6 Optimax models use the same pump (8M0128080).

You can always lookup parts for your specific engine serial number on our website- the latest part number (and price) are displayed in the Shopping Cart.

www.mercurypartsonline.net

www.europeanmarine.org/partsaccessories.html

19. Member
    Thanks!