Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

9mm Auto home defense/target combo recommendations please?

Looking for my first pistol.
    I have plenty of shotguns and a few rifles.
    so I need some help on a fun pistol to shoot and serves a home defense purpose too.

looked at a few and comments as follows.

Love the Kimber feel but not for double the price.
    handled a few and got a few tips from the salesperson.
    Good friend recommends Sig Sauer P320 which military just went to after testing.
    safety feature fits my training as opposed to on the trigger as Glock et al.

so please give me your thoughts if you would be so kind.
    Do remember I can’t hit my ass with a pistol so 15 or so rounds may be necessary!

2. Member
    If it is going to sit in a nightstand and range bag i would recommend Canik, Smith and Wesson M&P or truly any Glock. I am overly partial to striker fired guns with no thumb safety which is all I will carry. My EDC guns are in order Sig P365, Ruger LCP, H&K VP40 but there are so many good guns and opinions out there. My Canik is by far the most accurate.....the 365 is the most comfortable but all have their place.
    5 Short of a limit

Find a range that rents pistols, and go shoot a bunch of them. What works for me (Glock, S&W Shield, Springfield XD) may not work for you. All the major manufacturers build good guns, it boils down to personal preference. If it goes bang every time, and the bullets go where you want, that’s all that matters. Don’t let the brand snobs convince you to buy something that doesn’t feel right to you.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

4. Member
    Beretta 92 for sure. Ultra reliable. Nice solid heft to it. Plenty accurate. Not a carry gun but for nightstand duty and range use they are outstanding.

I have owned most brands out there and that is my opinion.

I bought a Beretta 92 back in June. I absolutely recommend it. Glocks are nice but are too blocky for me and just do not like their feel in my hand. The above advice about shooting some first is very good. I cannot comment on a Sig as I have never shot one.

Stay away from pistols that are too large to carry and not fun to shoot at the range.. Either get a dedicated carry or a home defense/range pistol.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Out of all pistols and I can get any kind, my carry pistol is a Glock

7. Member
    adchunts gave you the best information... go rent and try a few different manufacturers and models on the range before you buy. If you're going to shoot a lot a 9mm is the cheapest rounds to buy. There are also many different options for personal defense loads.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

8. Member
    Just suck it up and get the Kimber. You already said you loved the feel and you're not going to beat the trigger on single action pistol. Of course I kinda have a 1911 addiction so maybe I'm biased.

9. Member
    I’ve have or have had them all. If I was going steel— I’d get a cz . Polymer — glock— their blocky , not sexy in any way but that’s what I carry and I have sw/hk/ walther/. I’d get a 9 mm or 40 since it’s your first pistol, compact size. 1911 are indeed awesome, but once u go there , you ll find kimber is a yugo

10. Banned
    This is a LOADED question.

11. Member
    Sig P226

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    Just suck it up and get the Kimber. You already said you loved the feel and you're not going to beat the trigger on single action pistol. Of course I kinda have a 1911 addiction so maybe I'm biased.
    Problem with that is 1911s should be .45 like JMB intended.

13. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    Ruger SR9C - best bang for your buck. Size, weight, price and its excellent trigger made it the right pick for me. If you were looking for a strictly home defense handgun, I'd suggest a Judge with the .410 defense loads, devestating in close range situations at home. It's big and heavy so not a good carry gun but it is fun to shoot at the range with .45 cowboy loads.

My bud has a Kimber 1911 that I think goes for around $800 that shoots really well. It is 45 but they make some in 9 I think. He has a Ruger 1911 as well that I line and I know it comes in 9. I have handled, but not shot, the P320 and that’s probably going to be the next pistol I buy.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

15. Member
    I second the idea of going to a range and renting a few. I freely admit that I'm a 1911 fan boy but I bought a Smith and Wesson Shield and love it. Great to keep around the house and a great carry gun. The Springfield's are also very good guns. You can get a 1911 in 9mm now and some are nice guns. My absolute favorite gun of all the ones I have is a Browning Hi Power. I've shot a lot of guns in my life and nothing comes close to the feel and smoothness of this gun.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

I just shot a H&K Vp9sk & Glock 19 gen5 on Friday and I would have to say the H&K had a much smoother trigger pull and it felt real comfortable in my hand. I didn't like the travel on the Glocks trigger it seem like I was pulling it forever....Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Dawnpatrol; 12-19-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    Dawnpatrol.
    Goin Fishing be home for Hunting Season !!!!!!!!!

17. Member
    Kimber has several offerings in 9mm including the CDP, which has some nice features.

18. Member
    There are a bunch. For my first pistol I found a 45 Springfield XDs and was originally looking for a 10mm but I found this gun used for 350 and didn’t have a single mark on it and all internal components looked new. It has the 4” barrel which I prefer. Another option to consider would be a revolver. The Ruger SP101 or something similar in 357 mag. Put 38 specials in and they are great to shoot and the magnums for defense plus it’s easy to carry. See what you can find that you like and try them all.
    Last edited by jc1992; 12-17-2018 at 10:30 AM.

19. Member
    Thanks for the info.
    bought the Glock 19 Gen 4 9 mm.
    felt good in the hand.
    had a $300 gift card for the store so Got it for another $310 out of my pocket.

this is my first pistol, but not my last.
    out to shoot it this weekend.

20. Member
    You can also use a glock 17 mag with that gun, 17 rounds. And if your aim isn't all that good I believe you can buy a 30 round mag for it to use as home defense. I own a few pistols and love 1911's, but I carry one of two guns, a glock 19 or a glock 43.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast