Thread: solix or helix

solix or helix

im still putting together a new nitro. ..build a boat.... as a somewhat tech limited 58 year old. im gettind the ultrex with the links. overall. wich unit is more user friendly solix or helix?

Quote Originally Posted by framer View Post
    im still putting together a new nitro. ..build a boat.... as a somewhat tech limited 58 year old. im gettind the ultrex with the links. overall. wich unit is more user friendly solix or helix?
    It depends on what brand/model you are used to. For someone with no electronics experience, the Helix is the easiest to learn.
    The SOLIX is touch screen and the Helix is not.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    I had a 20 year old Lowrance, it quit about 10 years ago. the more I contemplate this project the more difficult it becomes. I think helix 9s front and back. thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by framer View Post
    I had a 20 year old Lowrance, it quit about 10 years ago. the more I contemplate this project the more difficult it becomes. I think helix 9s front and back. thanks for the help
    Well that is a start. You will have to decide on how much sonar technology you want.

In the Helix 9 G2N models there are four different ones.
    Helix 9 CHIRP GPS G2N which does 2D sonar only.
    Helix 9 CHIRP DI GPS G2N which does Down Imaging and 2D sonar.
    Helix 9 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G2N that does the same as the above, but has Dual Spectrum 2D sonar and an additional Down Imaging frequency (1200 kHz).
    Helix 9 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G2N which does Side Imaging, Down Imaging, 2D sonar.

The newest models are G3N for the 2019 model year.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Go to a dealer and play with the settings on each one while the salesman walks you through it. Whichever is easier for you is the one to go with. Not much point in buying the unit if frustration will keep you from accessing the bells and whistles.

6. Member
    Helix units will have the same images as the Solix but will have a much simpler operating system. Solix is very customable, more for advance users IMO. I'm a Helix guy.