smoked black Turkey??

Smoked my 2nd turkey in a weber smokey mountain. Had the temp about 325. It was done in 3 hours 15 minuted. I was planning on 4.5 hours. As you can see the bird turned out black. I've heard that sugar can cause this. I did brine it with a mix of 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup molasses and 1 cup honey with some other spices. The rub was a chicken rub by grill mates. Is sugar the culprit for the blackness? What would cause the skin over the breast to split open. I did trim off the excess skin around the opening when I stuffed the bird with apples, celery and onion. Any ideas? thanks!

20181214_141946 by mikesgm, on Flickr

If the breast had just split open, it would have looked like the turkey on National Lampoon's Christmas!

Seriously, the brown sugar is what made it turn dark.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Looks good. WSM does a great job on turkey. Try a Cajun seasoning next time.

Best Turkey you’ll ever cook on a Smoker. Period. Add additional smoke if preferred. Used it for 15+ years.

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/hot...hickory-turkey
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

5. Member
    when it gets to the desired color drap a piece of foil over it loosly. Will stop it from getting any darker.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

6. Member
    Steve's got it down!

7. Member
    That color isn't too bad. If you don't want it to turn brown, rub it down with a little olive oil before and then lay foil over about half way through. To keep the drumsticks from burning up tie them together to keep them close to the bird and then wrap foil tight over the ends about halfway through. To keep poultry really moist when smoking, pull the skin back, rub olive oil underneath and then lay it back over.

Did this one today. 15# brined overnight. 3.5 hours at 350 in the egg. Oranges stuffed up it's butt and rubbed with my regular, no salt rub.