Mercury Technician

Nephew wants to become Mercury Certified Mechanic. After completion of Mercury training and becoming certified what is the criteria to maintain certified status-- long term. Mercury website only says two additional courses after completion of certificate course. He seems to think that it's lifetime achievement? I suggested to him continuous additional courses will be required but can't find anything to show him?

2. Member
    merc university has just this year made some changes in the way he would have to maintain certification requiring a certain number of hrs and courses to continue certification status , after he recurves a tech id number he would be assigned or choose courses from a list of online vid or interactive class room , or attend class room with hands on lab work on bugged engines , how do I know this I took my first class room course in 1984, being a merc dealer myself we are prev too this info , not public, hope this helps him JOE
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Joe is there a way for a person to get any of mercury's on line training that is not employed by a dealer
    Thank You Leon Pugh

I don't know about Mercury but I work for Honda... technology's constantly changing and I still have to go to weekly trainings all the time.. been with them for 32 years now...
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger RT View Post
    I don't know about Mercury but I work for Honda... technology's constantly changing and I still have to go to weekly trainings all the time.. been with them for 32 years now...
    ^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Continuing Education required annually to maintain certification.

As I recall, an existing tech can arrange to pay for individual classes (but that is quite costly).

Best bet is to get in with a dealer, get some hands-on training while doing the online portions during evenings.

Pity he's not closer to SC... I've got an opening NOW.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    only way I know also LEON ^^^^^^
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If someone wanted to sit in front of a VHS player and screen... I've got a whole crate of tapes floating around here somewhere (not going to ship them... but if someone wanted to pick them up in person they would be welcome to them).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor