Loss of a Friend and Brother

Yesterday, A member of my Club, Luke 5-11 Bassmasters, a member of my Church, JCCC, and a friend and brother, was lost to a boating accident on Douglas lake. He was either launching or trailering his boat when something happened. His name is Paul Irwin and I am asking anyone who is so inclined, to make a dontation to "Tackle the Storm" Charity in Paul's Honor. He was one of our club's founding members as well as a great father, husband and friend. Please keep his family in your prayers. It is not known what exactly happened but I ask anyone that is launching or recovering their boat or just around the dock area, please wear your PFD.

Regretfully,

Bob Payne

2. Member
    Sorry for your loss.

3. Member
    Sorry for your loss.

Often. I don't put my inflatable PFD on until I am on the boat. Stupid. I should put it on as I get out of the vehicle to prep.

4. Member

Praying

Sorry for you loss

5. Member
    So sorry about your friend. I have fallen in three times at the ramp, twice in Winter most recently last Sunday, 45 degree water. Wear your PFD.

So sad ... I'm sorry.

7. Member
    Did you ever here what exactly happened?

"If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

9. Member
    Prayers for the family

10. Member
    Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Not certain what happened but he did not have his vest on. it was draped over the steering wheel. He was launching and the boat was off the trailer so I can only surmise that something happened when he tried to tie the boat up at the dock before pulling the truck out. The truck was backed down with the trailer in the water and the boat was drifting. He was found 80 feet away in 10 ft. of water. If anyone wants to, we have asked for donations to Don Barone's Tackle the Storm Foundation in Paul Allen Irwin's honor.

Bob

11. Member
    I can only wonder if his boat got away from him and he actually tried to swim out and get it with him being that far away. Very cold water for this time of year, and it may have not been the case. But, I know this situation happened to another great fisherman from East TN many years ago on Halloween night. Regardless of how it happened, it is so sad.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrnyldo View Post
    Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Not certain what happened but he did not have his vest on. it was draped over the steering wheel. He was launching and the boat was off the trailer so I can only surmise that something happened when he tried to tie the boat up at the dock before pulling the truck out. The truck was backed down with the trailer in the water and the boat was drifting. He was found 80 feet away in 10 ft. of water. If anyone wants to, we have asked for donations to Don Barone's Tackle the Storm Foundation in Paul Allen Irwin's honor.

Bob
    It's amazing, but as I previously stated I've gone over 4 times, three times at the dock/pier and 3 times in Winter. One might be safer to wear a PFD through the entire launching and recovery process.

13. Member
    Sorry to hear this .... prayers sent for family and friends. Tough time of the year to loose someone.

14. Member
    Just an update. I talked with Paul's wife yesterday on our way to our Church Home Group meeting last night and she told me that she found out that they have a camera on the dock there in Dandridge. She was told that the video shows the boat getting away from Paul as he is trying to launch it and the shows him removing his coat and wading out to the boat. He then began to swim as the water got deeper and when he got to the boat, it was between him and the camera so he is hidden by the boat. The video shows some ripples moving away from where he got to the boat and then he was gone.

She is going to see the video today and it is my hope that this gives her some closure in knowing what happened although it is not known whether he drowned or whether the 40 degree water caused him to have a heart attack. Please pray for Mary and her family in this difficult time.

Again, I will say, if you are going to be around the water and your boat and you are alone, or around water this cold, make sure you have your Life Vest on. It will save your life. If Paul had put his on, maybe he would have been ok.