Low Pressure fuel pump repair on 250 Pro Verado - 5.5 hours to replace ????

SERIAL # 2B170676

Any Merc techs believe this is excessive? What is the warranty time allotted for this repair. Two o-rings were also leaking fuel/water and R and R'd include in the 5.5 hrs

Diag time quite often exceeds repair time, I suspect there is more to this. Itemized list of parts and labor would be useful
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Diag time quite often exceeds repair time, I suspect there is more to this. Itemized list of parts and labor would be useful
    $294.64 for fuel pump, 7.5 total labor, $5.00 o-ring kit, $15 shop supplies and tax $71 - I spoke with the owner and was told two lake test took time and getting the o-rings at the hardware store also took time (Mercury said the o-rings were backordered 2+ months - wth - ), so lets say 1 hour for each lake test and 30 minutes to get some o-rings = 2.5hrs leaving 5.5 labor. That is it. I may be mistaken, but I thought I read 1.7 allowed for warranty.

I am only 10 mile from Folsom lake and just for a realistic breakdown
    Hook up equipment for testing, .5
    Drive to and from the lake two times including launch and load time 1.5 at least depending on traffic
    On the water test time 1.2 hours minimum
    One hour minimum to locate and acquire o rings
    launch fees at Folsom 48.00
    At a minimum I would charge you 3.2 hrs plus launch fees
    I am also sure they spent some research and diag time in the shop before lake testing
    Actually sounds to me you got a pretty good deal
    Would be nice if consumers could walk in a tech shoes for a while to understand how hard it is to make buck
    I am actually a automotive tech, but I do have a good understanding of the marine field and what they go thru. I am not trying to be a jerk but I think your time estimates are way to conservative

Something else to consider Warranty times are by design are not the same as required time, manufactures do not pay actual times required for warranty work in most cases, actual times are usually 10 to 50% higher depending on the skill level of the tech
    it also cost about .80 cents per mile for the tow vehicle to operate 40 miles that would be $32.
    The cost per mile is based on IRS numbers of .57 cents per mile average cost, Some what higher for a truck when towing
    Last edited by lpugh; 12-14-2018 at 06:20 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good points, Leon.

Really would need to have a bit more information- but from my experience, it MAY be justified.

What was your "provided complaint" when you went in?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Good points, Leon.

Really would need to have a bit more information- but from my experience, it MAY be justified.

What was your "provided complaint" when you went in?
    fuel pump making a noise and fuse blown

Unless it was an intermittent problem I would question the need for lake testing with that service request....
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfish1 View Post
    fuel pump making a noise and fuse blown
    If that is legitimately the information provided at write-up, I would have expected my tech to arrive at and replace a fuel pump within a half-day's time.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

fyi - I worked, now retired, with my hands to make a good living. This request for info was in no way directed at the tech. I sense there may have been some rounding up to the different time allocations. thanks for responding to my question

10. Member
    Warranty paper work and time to file it also, every year it gets worse.