Purchase Advice Please!

I am moving from Lowrance to Humminbird and am confused as to which units I want to buy. I know I am putting a Solix 12 SI and upfront another Solix 12. What do I need to connect the 2 and can I purchase the Di version of Solix 12 and receive all the info from the main unit? Also should I wait for 2nd Gen-what will I gain or lose with the 1st Gen?

Thanks so much!

There is no first generation DI version SOLIX.
    A SOLIX SI model comes with a Side Imaging transducer that does Side Imaging, Down Imaging, 2D Sonar, and Temp.
    A SOLIX CHIRP model comes with a 2D transducer that does 2D, and Temp.

Both can be a Down Imaging, 2D, Temp model by purchasing an accessory DI transducer and attaching it to the unit.

In all cases the units can cross-share sonar technologies, just need at least one unit with the technology to be shared with other networked units.
    Networking two units just takes a single Ethernet cable.

There are DI designated G2 SOLIX units that don't come with a transducer (CHO) for those that get a Motor Guide with built-in MEGA DI transducer.
    The G2 models have more power that extends the depth/range of Imaging. That is the + in the model name.
    The new Helix units are + also.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks Wayne!

I have an Ultrex/Link I will be connecting. Should I use the transducer built in with the front unit? Do you think I should wait on the Gen 2? I just sold my Lowrance HDS Gen1 so I plan on keeping for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by jheath View Post
    Thanks Wayne!

I have an Ultrex/Link I will be connecting. Should I use the transducer built in with the front unit? Do you think I should wait on the Gen 2? I just sold my Lowrance HDS Gen1 so I plan on keeping for several years.
    You can certainly use the US2 in the pre-MEGA DI Minnkota models. It is a 83/200 kHz transducer and what the SOLIX CHIRP model is compatible with by default.
    Some prefer an external 2D transducer regardless of the sonar brand.

I don't see any advantage of a G2 CHIRP model if you are going to just use the US2. It's always best to have a current model if possible though.
    Either one would share SI and DI from the SI model.

My personal choice for the bow would be a Side Imaging model, it's all I have used with a Side Imaging transducer on the trolling motor since getting the first Side Imaging unit over 9 years ago. I have SI/DI/2D where I am when fishing and don't have to get sonar data a boat length away.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL