Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dry trailer carpet fast

What's a good fan to put under the trailer to dry the carpeted bunks? I use a box fan but looking for something better. I don't really want to change the carpeted bunks for the rubber kind at this point.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by justflippin View Post
    What's a good fan to put under the trailer to dry the carpeted bunks? I use a box fan but looking for something better. I don't really want to change the carpeted bunks for the rubber kind at this point.
    I use an air mover, they work great. Google "air mover fan" they look like a turbo charger. The one I have has 3 speeds and a constant setting or up to 3 hrs timer. They also have electrical outlets build in to them so you can link several in a row. I use this to dry interior carpet and bunks under the boat. I picked mine up at Canadian Tire on sale for round $60-$70. One of the best things I purchased for the boat next to a good shop vac.

3. Member
    Thanks, I just asked Santa for one

4. Member
    It also helps to crank up the trailer tongue as high as possible. This really speeds drying as the water drains to the rear of the bunks quickly. You’ll see the water start to drip off the rear as soon as you raise the tongue.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

5. Member
    How about a de-humidifier set near or under the boat?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    How about a de-humidifier set near or under the boat?
    I did that but it just runs continuously and I need to run a drain hose out. Didn’t seem to help much.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justflippin View Post
    I did that but it just runs continuously and I need to run a drain hose out. Didn’t seem to help much.
    If it runs continuously,it’s helping.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm View Post
    It also helps to crank up the trailer tongue as high as possible. This really speeds drying as the water drains to the rear of the bunks quickly. You’ll see the water start to drip off the rear as soon as you raise the tongue.
    This is true!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    If it runs continuously,it’s helping.
    I don’t disagree but it doesn’t help that much due to its fighting the overall humidity in the garage.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm View Post
    Yes this does help.

11. Member
    Some guys have high marks for Gatorbak coverings. I crib my rig takes about ten minutes to crib. Run a dehumidifier as well. Twelve years young and no blisters.

With the boat tight on the bunks it takes a long time to dry. You can completely clean the hull and change bunks with this technique also.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WjColdWater View Post
    Some guys have high marks for Gatorbak coverings. I crib my rig takes about ten minutes to crib. Run a dehumidifier as well. Twelve years young and no blisters.

With the boat tight on the bunks it takes a long time to dry. You can completely clean the hull and change bunks with this technique also.
    I think I'm understanding this:
    Drop the floor jack all the way down, and then block the rear by the transom. Use the floor jack to jack it back up, and block the front of the boat. Lower the jack.
    Awesome technique!

13. Member
    Not my idea. Others here and on YouTube shared. But it works and is easy.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by WjColdWater; 12-16-2018 at 01:15 PM.

14. Member
    Air movers for carpets when they get flooded work great can use them anywhere.

15. Member
    Just curious, why is it necessary to worry about drying your bunks?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbs15 View Post
    Your hull will get blisters if it stays wet. Eventually they will pop and create some issues.

Heres my idea but I haven't tried it because I have gatorbaks. Take a board and set a skill saw to only cut around 1/8-3/16" deep. Then go cut a bunch of slots on the top side of the board that could channel water toward the low edge. Cut some slots on the low side that would let the water out the bottom. Put some carpet on but leave those bottom slots open to drain. I'm not sure if it would dry faster or not but surely it would let the weight of the boat press the water out of the carpet

17. Member
    I have a 1992 Ranger 391V that I have owned since new and still have. I just this last summer replaced the carpet on my bunks for the first time, only because one bunk got torn. When I had the boat on stands and trailer pulled out I checked the bottom for any irregularities and found none. Maybe I'm lucky, but like I said no blemishes from the bunks whatsoever....

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbs15 View Post
    Not sure what year the blistering issue started. But you DONT WANT THEM! Repairing blisters is very expensive and a lot of boats have them. The only way to verify is to have the boat separated from the bunks. Most agree that bunk moisture long term causes them. Choose a system right for you and this could save expensive repairs.

19. Member
    Ranger started putting a barrier coat on the hull to fight against blisters, I think around 2010-2011. Curious if any of the newer rangers have got blisters?

20. Member
    I guess I never realized this was such an issue. My 2003 is spotless on the hull and I’ve never done anything special. Just curious, if you block the boat off the trailer say to be able to wax the hull behind the fenders, don’t you put an extreme amount of pressure on a couple spots of the hull?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast