G3 Eagle 175 Yamaha F90 , will hydrofoil stabilizer help me?

This has probably been answered in previous posts but I can't find it.

'05 Eagle 175, 90 hp Yamaha four stroke, 12 5/8 x 21 K series aluminum prop. Good hole shot and wot is 43 mph @ 5,900 rpm.

The bow rides really high until it gets up on plane at around 3,800 - 4,000 rpms and much of the time I like to run 10-15 mph. There's not anything I can do with weight distribution that would help, and I don't want to install trim tabs. Will a hydrofoil help keep the nose down at slower speeds?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by JimInAlabama; 08-08-2019 at 08:43 PM.

2. Member
    I'M IMHO. Smart Tabs are better, but, Yes a foil will help.

3. Member
    Hey Jim, not sure if you have already installed a hydrofoil, but I have the same boat with a 90hp Yamaha 2 stroke and the hydrofoil helped out a lot on mine. I have a quicker plane time and the bow doesn't raise up as high. It also helped with my porpoising issue.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstokley View Post
    Hey Jim, not sure if you have already installed a hydrofoil, but I have the same boat with a 90hp Yamaha 2 stroke and the hydrofoil helped out a lot on mine. I have a quicker plane time and the bow doesn't raise up as high. It also helped with my porpoising issue.
    Thanks, My only goal was to try to keep the bow down at slower speeds, my hole shot and top speed were great. I installed a Sport Marine SE 400 and moved the motor up as high as it would go (it was in the second holes, moved it up to the fourth). The SE 400 alone helped with bow rise but it killed the top speed, and raising the motor without the hydrofoil created porpoise problems, but the combination of both helped considerably. The hole shot is still great and I can now run at 2,700-2,800 rpms and stay on plane. It may have taken a bit off top speed but not much. I'm happy with it.

5. Member
    Did you see a big difference when you raised the motor up? I’ve been thinking about raising mine as it’s in the 2nd hole too but for rpm reasons. Even with the hydrofoil I can only trim about halfway according to my trim gauge until it starts back porpoising.

6. Member
    Yeah, it did. Mid range speed was better which should mean better fuel economy. The trim was really touchy without the hydrofoil but settled down after installing it. My motor’s heavier so might not be the same on yours but it’s easy enough to switch back if you don’t like it. And fwiw I’ve never been able to trim out much past halfway on the gauge without porpoising on any boat I’ve had.

7. Member
    Gotcha sir. I sure appreciate the info. I’ll have to raise mine up just to see the difference, like you said I can always go back.