Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Metanium mgl vs steez sv TW?

Which reel if you had to choose for all around bass fishing
    Nitro z21

2. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    You can't go wrong with Shimano or Daiwa. They are #1 and #2 in the bass fishing reel game imo.

I have ten of the Metanium MGL's, love them.

I've been a Shimano/G. Loomis guy for almost 20 years now, so my vote is for the Metanium.

Good luck.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

3. Member
    I have had both and prefer the Steez.

However between the Steez SV TW and Steez A, I like the A best.

4. Banned
    I used the tackle whs loaner program and tested metanium vs daiwa steez sv tws last year... I felt like the metanium maybe cast lighter stuff further, but the feel wasnt as good in my hand, and the shimano have very little adjustment, vs the Daiwa seem infinitely adjustable...... so I own 15 Daiwa sv tws now. I got 6.3 ratio from ebay and 8.1 ratios on ebay from Japan.

I have 2 steez A from Japan in the 5.3 ratio crazy cranker I think they are called, only available from japan.

5. Member
    Thanks keep the info coming. I wa a leaning towards the Metanium for the higher gear ratio

also what did you prefer the steez A over the sv
    Nitro z21

6. Member
    what are your intended uses for the reel?
    lewisboat.com
    Omega Custom Tackle
    Lewis Pro Team
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

7. Member
    Well anything really except big Swimbaits. Thinking slowly changing over reels. I’m a power fisherman with a strong need for finesse but my finesse is spinning only and don’t plan on changing.

also trying out LH
    Nitro z21

8. Member
    I have my Steez SV TW on my MB Destroyer FMJ. It’s one of my favorite setups. However the Steez A in my hands feels more solid and rigid. I’ve punched, frogged, swim jigged, and buzz baited with it and it never disappoints. It’s a beast. Just me personally speaking here if money was no object I’d have Steez SV TW for finesse and jigs setups and a Steez A on everything else. I did rip apart my Steez A and took out the clicking drag pin, but that’s just me and I have OCD. In my hands the Steez A/SV TW is a superior reel to the Metanium MGL.

9. Member
    Had both. The Metanium MGL became geary after 2-3 months of fishing (casted still great, but sounded and felt bad). I sold it. The Steez SV TW still performs great and feels super smooth over a year in. Steez A is also a great reel, that is next on my list!

10. Member
    I'm just a shimano guy mostly. My MGL's holding up great. I fish 30# braid on almost everything and they will cast a total weight 1/4 oz shakey rig a sick distance. I had mine serviced in August after a year of ownership and they were never geary. I have used 16# FC on my Mets and found that I needed much more braking set and with that the reel casting distances dropped to normal levels.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

11. Member
    I have the Steez A and Metanium MGL, both are really nice reels. I wouldn't trade one for the other. If I was to choose only one it would be the Metanium MGL because it cast farther than the Steez A.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    Thanks keep the info coming. I wa a leaning towards the Metanium for the higher gear ratio

also what did you prefer the steez A over the sv

8-1 Daiwa sold in japan only....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAIWA-17-ST...n/263045726416

I also use this lews 8.3 to 1 and 20 lb drag.. Its for all my flipping, swimbaits and 20 lb and braid set ups. and it casts as well and is as adjustable it just feels a little rickety and Im guessing wont stay as smooth as long as daiwa. I remove the round knobs and install flat ones. If you change the handle entirely to a carbon handle with flat knobs people will line up to buy the handle with round knobs you take off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2018-Te...1/352205785660

Daiwa guy, so going to be biased - but both are top tier reels. Most common responses are the MGL will cast the light stuff a bit further (but not a significant amount), but gears do get rough pretty quick, which turns most off the MGL. The Steez SV TW is the current incarnation of the Magnesium framed premium reel from Daiwa, with SV and TW tech added, at 5.5oz, with 80mm handle. The Steez A moves to an aluminum frame, drops the SV, and adds a bit of line capacity, 6.7oz and a 90mm handle. Both Steez models are available with 8.1 ratio if you purchase the JDM model. Typically the A is better for heavier baits, the SV TW for lighter baits, in general.

14. Member
    Thanks guys I found a killer deal on a japan model Metanium. It was significantly less expensive than the best steez deal.
    Nitro z21

15. Member
    I have both and like them a lot , Metanium casts well and is super smooth and I’ve had it for 2 years lol

16. Banned
    Thanks guys I found a killer deal on a japan model Metanium. It was significantly less expensive than the best steez deal.
    jdm tackle has all the shimano reels very cheap, if cost was your only factor then shimano is the way to go.

I had 15 shimano aldebaran and got rid of most of them after trying the daiwa... but cost isnt a factor in my decision making. I want reels that work the same as new after 3 months.

the shimano are janky after very little use and are very limited on adjustments. I sold all mine for close to what I paid since I got them from jdm exclusively.

17. Member
    The Metaniums keep weight low by using aluminum gears. Using braid can tear things up pretty good. I just had four come back from Reel-Ex. He told me they would probably need new gears next year, and recommended I put in brass Curado gears. To the tune of 50 bucks a reel. Not something I expected to do with 400 dollar reels after 2 years of use.

Just out of curiosity, what does Daiwa have that makes it more adjustable than a Shimano?

Sounds like you chose the Metanium based on price from a non-warranty supported JDM model and supplier. I understand and wish you the best with them! The Steez SV TW is significantly better as an all around reel than the Metanium MGL in my hands. Unfortunately, the Steez SV TW only comes in 7:1 and 6.3:1 in US models that have a warranty and customer service should it be needed. Don't get me wrong, the Metanium MGL is a very nice reel, but in terms of overall inside and out quality, comfort, and fishability, the Steez SV TW is as good as it gets presently and can be made even better with some aftermarket options should that be of interest to anyone.

19. Member
    Well damn guess I screwed up buying a Metanium at a unbelieveable price. Also uneducated buying a jdm reel
    Last edited by jasonG; 12-25-2018 at 12:48 PM.
    Nitro z21

Well damn guess I screwed up buying a Metanium for 260 shipped. Also uneducated buying a jdm reel
    Not at all. JDM pricing is attractive indeed, but it does come with some down side too. Again, I wish you the best with the reel, enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast