Thread: spark plug

spark plug

I have a 115 ELPTO,serial # OT538976. There are two different plugs listed for my engine, a BP8H-N-10 and a BPZ8H-N-10. Can some one tell me difference in the two plugs? Why would you use one over the other. There is quite a difference in the price of the two. Thanks Bobby

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Engines covered by the parts catalog your engine falls under had different plugs.

Best to refer to the EPA label on your engine- which very likely lists the BPZ8HN-10 plug, and provides RFI suppression.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Engines covered by the parts catalog your engine falls under had different plugs.

Best to refer to the EPA label on your engine- which very likely lists the BPZ8HN-10 plug, and provides RFI suppression.
    Is that the Iridium plug?

4. Member
    Neither plug is iridium. The "Z" means the plug contains an inductive resistor.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

5. Member
    yup
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Banned
    Ordered the BPH-N-10 by accident. Saw the price difference and thought I was making a big score. Didn't pay attention to the fact that the "Z" was missing. Before installing I checked with my friend and Mercury tech and he said as long as I don't mind static on my radio they are fine. No radio so no problem. Ran them all last season with no problems and money in my pocket.
    For the record, I have a 2005 Merc XR6 150 HP. Uses the same plugs as your 115HP.

That static you would hear in the radio is also interfering with the computer, might want swap them out soon, A host of problems can occur do to RFI
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    will check the EPA label. Where is it located? Also would the RFI interfere with fish finder and graphs? Thanks Bobby

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Normally on the port side, or the front of the engine, it's a label.

As stated, be very surprised if it lists anything other than the BPZ8HN-10

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Parts look up shows two, BP8H-N-10 and BPZ8H-N-10

11. Member
    Rick if you have any problems with rfi interference you would need to use BPZ if not the BP8H should be fine if it had z in it put those back in
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................