Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Are you going to be on big lakes where it can get rough like the great lakes? Being new to boating I'm going to say jumping right in without experience usually leads to trouble. Getting stuck out there with no experience can literally be a death sentance. If you are on big water I suggest a multi species boat. Much easier to drive and a little safer than a bass boat in big water. I also suggest getting on the MI forum and seeing if someone wouldn't mind meeting you at the lake either before or after you get a boat to show you some things.

2. Member
    Do like my Triton Allure..

3. Scraps
    I'd look for an older Ranger 400 series. 461 would be perfect or even a 361 for that matter. It would be good to learn how to handle and appreciate a smaller rig before jumping into the big boys.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    I would look for a boat manufacture that's still in business. At our price range, boats are old and will break period. Get a old glass 18 to 19 footer from a manufacture where can get parts for it. Ranger, Bass Cat, Triton, maybe Nitro.

5. Member
    My friend is a dealer for the alumacrafts. He really likes em as far as a tin boat. They are set up like bass boats, but quite easier on the pocket. Good, solid nice looking rigs too. He usually pairs em with a yamaha 4s and people have been buyin em up. So definately an option if you're asking.

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I see absolutely zero issue fishing tournaments out of a tin. My boat is 18’5” and the front deck is bigger than my brother’s Pantera II. She is lighter to tow, doesn’t take a 225-250, sips gas and I have her set up well. You can always upgrade down the road and a well kept tin can hold some value.

Go ride in a RT188 or a Triton, Alumacraft...Tin boats aren’t the Jon Boats of days last.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I would avoid tin. I would also get the longest largest glass boat you can find even if it's underpowered. You'll always have 2 or 3 people on board, with a tin boat when one person moves around especially if they're heavy, the whole boat is momentarily unstable. Don't worry about the appearance you can always get it wrapped in your school colors. Safety first.
    I know a lot of guys dont like tin, but some are equal to glass and a better price point.

8. Member
    12' jonboat use the money for your education.

My 2001 Ranger 518VX Comanche would fit you perfectly.. You can find some good ones out there in your price range.. Take your time shopping, have them thoroughly looked at and go enjoy!
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I'd look for an older Ranger 400 series. 461 would be perfect or even a 361 for that matter. It would be good to learn how to handle and appreciate a smaller rig before jumping into the big boys.
    Couldn't go wrong with this. The 361 and exspeacialy 461 where a couple of the best tourney rigs. And I'm not a ranger guy

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBassMan View Post
    I am coach/captain for a local high school bass club. Anything 20 ft and under is plenty long/big. 21 ft boats are just limit you too much in many ways.
    Glass or tin, when you buy a used boat....you are buying the motor. There isn't much that can go wrong with your boat that can keep you off the water, your motor is another story. Be sure to check out the trailer and tires as well...that can get expensive quick. Keep in mind you have to have insurance and an adult to be your captain....you can't take it out alone in the tournaments. Test drive it at a local lake, and have the motor checked out, /leak down tests are around $100....they're worth it!
    As a coach in Kentucky, I agree with this completely. Will add, don’t get hung up on getting a high horsepower motor. Though I’m not familiar with the HS rules/regs in MI, all high school tourneys here in KY have a 45 mph speed limit. 115-150 hp is more than enough for what you’ll need. Just a thought, maybe look at boats in the 7-10k range and use what you have left to upgrade the trolling motor and electronics.
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

12. Member
    OP, I sent you a PM, if you’re interested I have a Ranger 185VS with 150VMax that I’ll be selling before spring. Boats in exceptional shape and and well maintained. Motor is solid along with trailer... This was my first bass boat when moving up from a small tiller. Great boat and it’s ready to go. Let me know if you’re interested.
    Scott

13. Member
    Tracker Pro 170, brand new, less than $15,000. https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=4567
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHelms View Post
    Tracker Pro 170, brand new, less than $15,000. https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=4567
    Hard to beat that. Would upgrade the motor tho. Hehe

15. #FRB
    The biggest piece of advice I can give you is DO NOT let your emotions take over when buying. Been there, done that, still licking my financial wounds from that mistake. The Tracker 170 is a really nice rig if buying new as long as you're not going to be fishing huge lakes that can get nasty in a hurry with no place to hide quickly. You're young and no one expects you to start at the top...well what was the top 15 years ago anyway. Reliability trumps all. Keep cost to own in mind. The big boats people are suggesting with the older v6 engines have a hard time passing a gas station. I remember having to feed a gas thirsty carb and efi motor when gas was hitting $4 a gallon
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

16. Member
    It took my a year to find my boat, countless hours of searching and spending the time to go look at each every viable boat option. Ended up with a clean 98 champion with a 175 merc on the back and has been flawless after two seasons of tournament fishing. (I have literally only replaced a live well pump)

You should be able to tell in the first 3 minutes of looking at it if the person gave a a shit about it or not. If cosmetically it looks like it got dragged through the ringer, I wouldn't be so trusting about what could be happening mechanically.

17. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I agree with Champ187Elite 100%! I literally only looked at one boat before I bought mine and I knew within 30 seconds I was buying my boat; bar something very weird happening.

Even though it is an ‘06 the guy had the 3 day old computer printout for the motor sittting on the deck, it was clean enough to eat off of and absolutely everything worked perfectly. He cared for his boat and bought it new.

I see boats for sale everyday and at least half the time I turn around before getting within 20’. Good from far, far from good!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MN1965 View Post
    Do you have sufficient funds set aside to fund your college education without student loans, a vehicle that will take you through the time you get a real job, etc?
    He wants to fish. He has Priorities in check.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I agree with Champ187Elite 100%! I literally only looked at one boat before I bought mine and I knew within 30 seconds I was buying my boat; bar something very weird happening.

Even though it is an ‘06 the guy had the 3 day old computer printout for the motor sittting on the deck, it was clean enough to eat off of and absolutely everything worked perfectly. He cared for his boat and bought it new.

I see boats for sale everyday and at least half the time I turn around before getting within 20’. Good from far, far from good!
    The same thing happen to me, I knew I was going to buy it before I even got the back of the boat. I looked at 2006 skeeter the day before that I am pretty sure the guy thought ramming his boat into a dock was a viable way of parking it the ramp. I ran from that!

20. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Yeah no joke! Gotta love the people that use the pics from when they bought the boat to sell it. It’s actually sad to see how some really nice rigs just get neglected and downright messed up by some people.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast