2008 Evinrude 225 exec water pick up question

Hey guys ...I have a 2008 Evinrude 225 erect ho and my lower unit does not have the low water pick up in the nose cone ....I have heard a little bit about scoops to add .....will these allow ya possibly to run the engine a little higher without over heating ......and if it will does anyone have a part number as to what I need ....can’t seem to find much on this .....thanks in advance

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Model number please.

3. Member
    Model number is E225dhlscf......

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If you haven't had to replace your lower unit and have the original it should be an L1 case with the fixed 4 hole inlets. You can't change the inlets. If you have the Square plastic inlets that have screws on both sides then yes you can replace the inlets there are three listed the High Performance, # 5005124, The High flow #5005063 and the Ultra High flow #5006337.

5. Member
    Ok ....thanks ...mine has the fixed holes .....what options do I have now

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Not many, not sure what you are trying to accomplish, I've heard of people sealing off the top two holes to allow the motor to be raised a bit but other than not much you can do, seeing you have a lightning 1 now not sure if you can add a Bob's nose cone with LWP to it.

7. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Those are Bob's or Titus nose cones. They have to cut the nose off of your gearcase and weld on the new nose cone and plumb the water lines. I have a Titus on my 250 DI

8. Member
    I’m ...thanks guys.....I was just trying to see if there was a way to be able to run my engine higher without running hot ....I have an atlas jack plate ...but looks like I don’t have any options....unless I change the gear case ....I have a 2003 ranger 520vx with this 225 exec on it ....what gear case would be the best to run on this boat

The one you have unless yu can get your hands on an L2
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

10. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    The only draw back to the nose coned gear cases is shallow water....they will suck up muck and clog the pisser... also needing to find a suitable way to run on muffs, I opted for a 100 gallon tub with a drain so I can submerge the water inlets and have back pressure on the engine..I am running a magnum gear case... But I do love the fact that I can run even or above the pad If I wish. My Sprint seems to like 1" below the pad.

11. Member
    Thanks everyone for your answers .....

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Jack it up until you start to lose water pressure and see how it runs. Then drop it 1/4-1/2"

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    The only draw back to the nose coned gear cases is shallow water....they will suck up muck and clog the pisser... also needing to find a suitable way to run on muffs, I opted for a 100 gallon tub with a drain so I can submerge the water inlets and have back pressure on the engine..I am running a magnum gear case... But I do love the fact that I can run even or above the pad If I wish. My Sprint seems to like 1" below the pad.
    I just ordered an M2 to replace my tired L1. I read where you can tape over the holes and use the muffs.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

Quote Originally Posted by e-tec View Post
    I just ordered an M2 to replace my tired L1. I read where you can tape over the holes and use the muffs.
    I hope your dealer also ordered a shift rod and factory kit needed to convert your motor over to the M2 gearcase with its higher water pressures.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    I hope your dealer also ordered a shift rod and factory kit needed to convert your motor over to the M2 gearcase with its higher water pressures.
    Thanks SH. The dealer quoted a kit. I looked up the kit. It contains a new shift rod but doesn't have a new relief valve spring. Will it need one?
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO