New ranger RT198 P

So I just came across a good deal in a nearly new ranger. I’m new to tin boats but have had many Fiberglas models. It has a 150 merc four stroke and a hydraulic jackplate. 23 tempest. What speeds will I see? Also it has the vynl deck which I don’t really like. Do they make a rubber option that would overlay on the vynl at least up front around the casing seat for some padding? Last question is it possible to put a keel guard on this boat ? Thanks again

you could always add "sea-deck" to your boat where you want it.....I have never seen a keel guard on an aluminum and not sure why you would need one either
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

3. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix#1 View Post
    So I just came across a good deal in a nearly new ranger. I’m new to tin boats but have had many Fiberglas models. It has a 150 merc four stroke and a hydraulic jackplate. 23 tempest. What speeds will I see? Also it has the vynl deck which I don’t really like. Do they make a rubber option that would overlay on the vynl at least up front around the casing seat for some padding? Last question is it possible to put a keel guard on this boat ? Thanks again
    I can hit 60-61 in mine, 57-59 is nominal full loaded, w/ the G2. My Dealer advised against the keel-guard based on the geometry of the hull and the potential for not getting a good seal, which means water ingression, eventual non-sticking, peeling and a mess with the painted hull and stuff. That was his opinion anyway which I followed until I am convinced otherwise.

I can attest to the 198 being a wonderful fishing platform, and accommodates 2 tourney loaded guys (or girls) wonderfully. If top speed is a concern, then you should consider a hull that will accommodate a 200, perhaps the Xpress...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

4. Member
    I always had a keel guard on my glass boats and thought i needed on on the 198 also.

After a season on the boat it's not needed! The finish on these boats are pretty durable.

I really like the changes Ranger made to the 2019 RT198. Enlarging the rear storage compartments and allowing 2 power poles.
    The Merc 150 four stroke has been out for several years and I have not heard of any problems. I think you will like it.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 12-14-2018 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Spellling correction

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

6. Member
    Thanks guys. Anything for padded deck options

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Congrats on your new rig! I haven’t heard a real complaint about that Ranger, she’s a beast! Fishes great and is fast for a tin. Sea Dek has just about every boat in their system and can make you padded areas for whatever area of the boat you want. Their products are used in saltwater a lot so freshwater is a breeze for that product.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. Banned
    The 2019 198 looks sharp. Looks like ranger trying to stay up there with vexus. Like that grey they have on ranger site and the dual axle trailer looks sharp. I just don't understand why they don't add lift assists to the other 2 storage lids on front deck.

9. Member
    Keelguard on mine for two years..
    No issues with it not sticking.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250 Yamaha HPDI

Easiest and probably cheapest way to pad the front is buy a large sheet of SeaDek and cut it to fit. The local SeaDek guy wanted $500 minimum to do half of the front of my RT188. I can do it for about $150 myself.

11. Member
    my wife and I have installed Seadek on our boat in various places. Cut a template , then the seadek. We have noticed that once the backing is peeked the seadek will draw up about 1/8 of an inch.

12. Member
    Thinking of adding jackplate & powerpoles to my 198p . Does the added weight affect the handling or top end performance?