RANGER WEAR: GILL or SIMMS?

Which Ranger Rain Gear is best for the price... GILL or SIMMS??? Thx. I have some coupons to spend on the Ranger gear.

I’ve owned both and both are the best out there. Gill was great for cooler days and cold rain but you’ll burn up in it on warmer days. It’s also a heavier suit. I switched to the Simms and enjoy them better. They can be worn in the summer when it’s raining and you can layer in the winter. They are also very light. You can’t go wrong with either. Depends on what the weather is like when you normally wear it.

3. Member
    Thanks for the info!

4. Member
    I own Simms and like it a lot, but will mention I had the chance to Marshall an Elite event in June in LaCrosse, WI where it rained really hard all day (4") on Day 1. I stayed bone dry, but at 70 MPH in the passenger seat of a Bassboat, the hood swells up like a balloon and trys to rip off your head. If Simms would add some vents to their hood, it would take care of that issue. AND I had the drawstrings cranked down as tight as I could. It isn't an issue when I'm in my own boat and have the console with windshield in front of me. I'm not knocking Simms, I have a lot of their stuff and really like their stuff, just one issue with their Pro rain jacket I observed.
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s

5. Member
    2014 Z119c
    225 Pro X\S
    Lowrance
    Powerpoles

I can agree sjcorpst, the Simms hood does flap like crazy and would be better with hood vents. I beat that issue by wearing goggles with the strap over the hood.

Are these reviews for the Simms Challenger?

8. Member
    Gill makes a lighter version also and with either Gill you wont have the head flap problem at least i don't

9. Member
    Live my Gill!
    2002 518 DVX

The Gill is a better product, several more features such as the vortex hood that keep it out if front of the Simms.