300R Octane Fuel question

Is there a problem running 93 Octane in a 300R?

2. Member
    Why would there be? I suspect the minimum required will be below 93. Just don't use fuel with an octane rating below minimum required. Easy peasy.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Fuel Requirements list 87 Octane Minimum.

Short term there would be no harm in running higher octane- though it will have no benefit to the engine (or your wallet).

As with previous models:

Fuel Selection:

Make your fuel selections based on the following criteria, IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER:

-High Traffic, Top-Tier (Name Brand) Fuel
    -Appropriate Octane Rating (see above info)
    -Lowest possible ethanol content (NEVER to exceed 10%).
    -While it may be preferable to utilize a fuel that contains lower (or no) ethanol, use of fuels that are SUBSTANTIALLY higher octane can result in decreased performance, decreased fuel economy, and potential for carbon buildup. Higher octane fuels burn SLOWER and COOLER.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Like Don said using higher octane fuels decrease performance and increased carbon buildup even with using additives. I used to use 90 octane rec fuel non ethanol in my 175,250 pro xs motors switched to 87 ethanol use mercury fuel additives every tank never had a issue with ethanol. But the biggest difference was the motor ran better and made more HP as far as speed and RPM's with regular 87 pump fuel. I've proven this over and over. I just purchased a new 225 V6 four stroke the manufacture had 93 non ethanol in the first tank. I ran all that out and put 87 ethanol pump fuel in and the motor runs stronger faster and increased rpm's. This is real world use. I do use my boat and burn the fuel fast it doesn't sit long so I'm not worried about separation or water in the fuel. I keep a close eye on that. If your boat sits for long periods of time between usage I can understand why you would use ethanol free fuel. But all my testing shows the motor is designed to run on 87 and that's where it runs best.
    Last edited by flatsboy; 12-17-2018 at 10:35 AM.
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

5. Member
    Only reason asking was I had roughly 30 gallons or 93 octane fuel with aces fuel treatment in it which increases octane a little more. I didn’t plan on running anything but 87, I’ve spent enough money on fuel in the last few years..��

6. Member
    Burn it out as much as you can then refuel with what you want. Essayist way to do it. I'm not a fan of mixing fuel types of that quantity if I don't half too.
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

Y’all still recommending 87 octane for the 300R’s?
    --------------------------------------------
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

2017 Sponsoring Partners:
    C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

How do you think they get mid grade gas. Mixing high and low octane together.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKMEISTER View Post
    Y’all still recommending 87 octane for the 300R’s?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco
    How do you think they get mid grade gas. Mixing high and low octane together.
    Your question is probably directed at information in a thread that has been (essentially) dormant for 4 years.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor