Carbon fiber split grips

Can you all give me your list of pros and cons on carbon fiber split grips for casting rods.
    thanks

I opted for full carbon fiber grips. Extremely light weight. There is no need for a split grip, to save weight. They aren't soft, tacky. grippy like a winn grip, but they have a hard feel. I was leery about that at first, but grew accustomed to it. I have 2 identically built rods, one with a split winn grip, the other with a full carbon fiber grip. The carbon fiber grip is noticeably better at transmitting vibrations, when comparing them side by side. The winn grip is a more comfortable feel, but absorbs more vibration. The carbon fiber grip rod is the one I reach for first.

3. Member
    Thanks for the info.

if you fish the cold, the carbon fiber will be cold to touch at first. I fish in the cold and it takes a few minutes for the grip to get to the hand temp. something i did not think of until i fished in the cold.

5. Member
    Thanks

6. Member
    Do the carbon fiber grips get slippery?
    Question everything!

7. Member
    No they aren't slippery. Even when you top coat them with epoxy and Permagloss, they still aren't slippery. The only time they're slippery is if they're top coated smooth and shiny, and you have some sort of oily substance on your hand.

The only down fall of the carbon fiber sleeved grips are that they aren't as easily cleaned as cork. If you're hands are muddy it will get in the creases. They're not that hard to clean, you just flush it with water and an old tooth brush and they'll come out looking just like new.

Oh and there is one other down fall. And that is that they are so light, especially a split grip version, that they'll make a rod more tip heavy.

Weight, like the weight of a rear grip on a rod, if it has a purpose, is not a bad thing. And rear grip weight helps balance rod and reel combinations.

8. Member
    Thanks for the info.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KyLakeLunker View Post
    if you fish the cold, the carbon fiber will be cold to touch at first. I fish in the cold and it takes a few minutes for the grip to get to the hand temp. something i did not think of until i fished in the cold.
    I have not experienced this warming sensation in cold - cold weather. Always cold to the touch for me