Thread: Jeep Cherokee

Jeep Cherokee

Anyone towing with a 2015 or newer Jeep Cherokee? What model, engine? Trying to find a everyday driver good on gas. I drive 65 miles plus a day to work. Tired of having two vehicles. I will be pulling a 17 ft aluminum alumacraft.

Okay but I make the same suggestion I always do and get flamed for it.
    4Runner and you won't want to look back. Tows my 206 great. Mileage is good 17 to 23. Dependable. Holds is resale value. Yes you will spend a little more but you won't be disappointed.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

3. Member
    Be like Rick. The only GC that will get decent MPG compared to a truck is the eco diesel. My BIL has one. He will sell it to you, you don't want it.

http://calcnexus.com/fuel-cost-calcu...mpg2=22&calc=1

Doing the math it would take you a VERY long time to make up the MPG on keeping two vehicles. Get what you want and enjoy your daily drive. I've been down that path too many times.

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    All new Cherokees have a ...2.4 liter turbo motor except the top 2 models that have a 3.2l vvt motor. The website doesn’t show hp/tq or towing capabilities ata a quick glance. I think either one would pull a rig like ours but if I were going Jeep it would be a Grand Cherokee!

I’ve seen some really nice Grand Cherokees pulling full sized glass rigs. It’s your money of course, but the turbo 4 wouldn’t be my choice personally.

The 4Runner is more comparable to a Grand Cherokee imo.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

5. Member
    I towed with an Escape, It did it but if trouble happened I think the outcome would be a lot worse. Plus the boat looks like it is in the back seat when your towing.
    Please release me,let me go.

17’ aluminum is easy to tow with an Escape with tow pack.
    Gives descent mileage too.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

7. Member
    Casslaw our 2010 Runner had more useable room than my BIL's Jeep GC, especially in the back end.

Ford Escape has a 2000 pound max tow rating according to my googlefu. My RT188 weighed in a 2700 pounds ready to go fishing. A 17' tin should weigh in right at 2000 pounds? If so that would put it right at the Escapes max tow rating. I really like to stay at about 80%. I've pulled up to the 5K rating on both of our AWD 4 Runners. They will handle a 17 or 18 foot aluminum boat no problem. The issue becomes their 18 MPG average which is only at best 4 MPG better than my 5.7L crew max Tundra. If you prefer the size then that's another thing, but don't buy another vehicle like that to save on gas money.

My wife has an AWD Land Rover Disco Sport with a 2.0 turbo and 9 speed transmission that's rated for 4K towing if I am not mistaken? It will tow my RT188 no issue. The issue becomes by time you run the required premium fuel it negates the extra MPG. Thus my suggestion just buying what ya want and not worrying so much about MPG when on the road so much. I've been down that path too many times.

We got EXCELLENT, and I mean EXCELLENT resale on both of our Runners with 80,000 miles on them. My BIL is sick at what his GC is worth with 100K miles on it and it is.a LOADED diesel.

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I didn’t say anything about an Ford Escape! I was just saying the 4Runner was more comparable to a Grand Cherokee than a normal Cherokee.

I like the 4Runners but don’t know a lot about them. I was looking at Tacoma’s online and was shocked they came with 6 speed transmissions and drum rear brakes. That seemed way behind the times for me, especially for the price.

I like the look of the Evoque, is that the Rover your wife has! The one with the slanted roof? Love that little thing but a Rover is a very different category!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

9. Member
    I only read the main post. Do yourself a favor get the Jeep GRAND Cherokee with the v6, 25 mpg hwy, towed 21’ skeeter I class 14-15 mpg towing, and the ride is amazing. This is no bs. I have a 2011 still runs perfect at 86,000 + miles. Hope it helps

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I like the look of the Evoque, is that the Rover your wife has! The one with the slanted roof? Love that little thing but a Rover is a very different category!
    She has the Discovery Sport. They share the same platform as the Evoque, except they don’t have the slanted roof allowing for a lot more room in back.

The Escape comments weren’t aimed at you. Just putting out my thoughts.

A 65 mile commute each way is at least an hour in the vehicle. In some areas that could be near two hours...each way. I’ve commuted as far as 120 miles each way. That drive was all interstate with little traffic. I tried the small chit box all the way to a Lexus ES350 before agreeing the math just isn’t there on a second vehicle to save gas. It sounds like the OP is there. If you run a fleet of vehicles then a few MPG really adds up.

11. Member
    I’d advice against a Jeep and get a Dodge Durango. Durango’s have a ton more room, cost less, can tow more, and gets better gas mileage. It’s the same as a Jeep GC but the pentastar engine and 8spd transmission makes the difference. It also has a longer wheel base than the GC. I tow with a 2014 Durango SXT and can’t even tell it’s back there. Usually get 24-28mpg highway and 19-20mpg towing. Tow capacity is 5000 without factory installed tow package, and 6200 with factory installed tow package. We picked ours up for $22,000 with 40k miles on it. The same year and mileage Jeep was running 5,000 more than the Durango.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I saw a newer Durango today and it did seem longer than the older models, made me think of this thread, and if N2RatFishin was gonna come after me

Before I had my boat, which is a lightweight,I towed my brother’s little Tracker 17 w/ a 40 behind an Escape from Tampa to Miami and back; I was surprised that little thing did so well. I wouldn’t pull a glass rig or pick one for my daily driver but it worked for a 21 year old that wanted to fish!

Cherokee or Grand Cherokee?
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

14. Member
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.6. 15-17mpg. Pulls my 920 just fine. Pulled a Z8 and a Legend V20 with it. The Legend was a bit heavy for it.