Question for the Guitar players...Amps

what amp are you all using. I'm wanting to upgrade mine and looking at an Orange Micro Terror Tube head and a 2x12 cab.
    any of you all run this system or played on one?

haven't made it up to Guitar Center yet to give one a try

2. BBC SPONSOR
    I have a evh 5150, love it, but way too much for me now and can't crank it up enough to warm tubes properly. I have a friend with one of the orange combo units and it sounds amazing. I would do the micro tube in a second, probably get to get all the gain out and not kill your ears. Of course go play it first to make sure fits your style.
    Bob's Machine - Action Series Jack Plates - DeckPlugs - DeckSavers - QuickSlip - The Big D Trolling motor handle - Much more!
    www.bobsmachine.com

3. Member
    Bogner Alchemist 212. Sounds awesome but way too big but I got a great deal on it.

My bud's Fender Princeton Reverb sounds awesome.

I have a Peavey mh 6505 that I really like as you can set the wattage and drive it decently at lower levels. Going through a 2X12 with Celestion Vintage 30s.

5. Banned
    Fender 212 DSP. Its freaking loud and fun with all the built in effects. I like soo much better than the half stack I had.

6. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I have an Orange Crush 35T. I love this little sucker!!!
    I don't play much anymore since I am older. I also have a Fender Deluxe 112. I didn't need big amps because we miked
    all of the instruments and had a sound man. Been 12 years since I played with my band and I sure miss it, OLD AGE SUX!
    I still grab the acoustic now and then and get into Hotel California and Take it Easy. HUGE Eagles fan

I have a Marshall MD100FX solid state, half-stack. Lots of adjustability with it and sounds good. AND LOUD!
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

8. Member
    I’m not a player, I’m a sound engineer, but I’ve gotten some great tones with guys with those little orange amps. They push well with pedals, and have plenty of stage volume for smaller venues without being so loud that they never make it into the FOH mix. Being in Cuba, i’d say Merle’s in Rolla might be a better bet than GC. I’m not sure that they are Orange dealers, but there are lots of those small format tube heads on the market, and I’ve had good luck with price and service from those guys all the way back to Woolf music days... good luck at finding an amp you love!

9. Member
    IMHO, for playing anything less than arenas, an all tube, 5 to 15 Watt head or 12” to 2x12” combo is the deal. You can go up to 30 to 50 Watts and a 4x12”, but if you are running them loud enough to get the power tubes cooking, that’s gonna be LOUD(!)

I’m partial to vintage 30’s as far as speakers go, and think straight front cabs sound better than slant cabs. but really there are lots of good choices. Simple is better, and remember the tone is in YOUR HANDS, not the gear. I’ve seen an amp sound like crap, only to have a better player plug in with the exact same settings and have a night and day difference in tone.

10. Member
    Dr Z makes great amps. I had a Maz 18 no reverb. It was a loud 18 watts. The problem with tube amps these days is finding decent tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by mixermark View Post
    IMHO, for playing anything less than arenas, an all tube, 5 to 15 Watt head or 12” to 2x12” combo is the deal. You can go up to 30 to 50 Watts and a 4x12”, but if you are running them loud enough to get the power tubes cooking, that’s gonna be LOUD(!)

I’m partial to vintage 30’s as far as speakers go, and think straight front cabs sound better than slant cabs. but really there are lots of good choices. Simple is better, and remember the tone is in YOUR HANDS, not the gear. I’ve seen an amp sound like crap, only to have a better player plug in with the exact same settings and have a night and day difference in tone.
    I was kinda thinking that same thing.
    had thought maybe about trying to get a older Mesa Boogie Tube but then the smaller Orange Solid State amps look good also

12. Member
    I have an Orange Thunderverb 50 with the 2x12. Great setup for me, but it'd be unusable at home without that built in attenuator.
    Whatever head you end up with, the orange 212 is top notch.

13. Member
    I'm not a Mesa fan, although we owned a dual rectifier three channel head back when we had the studio open. Mesa stuff just seems to be overly complicated, and less than versatile, they sort of have a million knobs and just one sound...lol

having said that, they are great for heavy music.

Its the only amp we sold when we closed, still have the Vox AC30, the 100 watt metal front Marshall non master volume head, the Marshall slash signature head, the 1st gen peavey 5150 head, the early silver face super reverb, blackface deluxe reverb, Gibson something or other single 12" 60's combo, and the ampeg B15 flip top.

14. Member
    Guy at the gig I did tonight had a little Hughes and Kettner Tubemiester. No cab, we just used the built in red box DI and ran it into the PA. Sounded just fine. He mainly plays acoustic in the (country) band, and just plugged his Les Paul I'm for a few of the more rocking tunes. That little H&K sounded pretty good, and may be worth a listen in the tiny head category.

15. Member
    I'm no help I have a Fender Blackface Bandmaster. 40 watts is plenty loud .

MusicMan 2475-65. Also a little too much for the house but.....

17. Member
    Mesa Recto-verb 25 head through matching 1x12 closed back and 1x12 open back cabs. Light and sounds awesome.

I've been looking at the Peavey Classic 20 head. Demos I've seen have been pretty nice & I like that you can change the wattage.
    Darrall Dougherty