Banned

1999 stratos 273 steering wheel

I have everything to replace steering system with hydraulic. How difficult is this and does anyone have any tips or anything I need to be careful of?

2. Banned
    I had to nearly take the motor off mine to get the old cables out. I just replaced mine with new cables though so you may have to do that anyway.

3. Member
    You'll probably have to bore out the hole for the helm. There's a couple of ways to do it, one is use multiple hole saw blades on the same spindle together with one the existing size one the desired size. I bolted/screwed a metal plate to the dash over the old hole and centered a hole scribe cutter in the old hole, drilled the center hole in the sheet metal you installed, cut the new hole then remove the temporary cover.

Oh yeah, remember to take the cables past the motor then loop back, the actuator needs that slack to move.

4. Member
    This is a project i've been putting off since I have owned my boat. If there is anymore tips please pass them on thanks and good luck
    1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator
    2000 Johnson 150hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 Si
    Humminbird Helix 5 sonar
    Bonifide SS127

5. Member
    It's not hard to do. I did it on my 283. I cut my old cables to get them out. The only time consuming part installing the new one is a bigger hole in the helm. Just bolt a piece of wood behind the hole and use the correct size hole saw.

Another trick to cut the hole out larger in the helm is to take strips of cardboard that are about 2-3 inches wide. Roll them up as possibly as tight as you can get them. The tighter the better. You are basically trying to make a round bock to fill the hole very tight. Once you get the newly rolled block stuffed tightly into the hole you can use it to get your hole saw started. It really works.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos273v View Post
    I have everything to replace steering system with hydraulic. How difficult is this and does anyone have any tips or anything I need to be careful of?
    What setup are you going with? This is one of those "one day..." kinda upgrades for me.

8. Banned
    Seastar, I have 2 hoses.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos273v View Post
    Seastar, I have 2 hoses.
    Random question - what does the centercap on your steering wheel look like? Mine is missing, and I don't know what I'm looking for as a replacement.

10. Banned
    I am getting a new steering wheel. The one that was there was original and looked like crap.

I have the old steering out and hoses pulled. A friend of mine is going to help me do it when we get a nice day.

I have stripped all the carpet also and will be putting new carpet in soon.

11. Banned
    Got it done yesterday. My brother and a friend basically installed it. There is a lot to it. We used a "combination" hole saw to cut the hole. The hole that was already there was 2-1/4" and the new hole needed to be 3". A longer 2-1/4" hole saw was put inside the 3" hole saw. the 2-1/4" is longer than the 3", so it centered the 3" and once it was well started, took the 2-1/4" hole saw off.

My friend had an aluminum template for the 4 holes. worked great. All 3 of us bled the system and it only took about 10 minutes. Can't wait to take it out for a run.

I have all the carpet installed but one lid. I ordered a pre cut kit, and one lid was cut to short. I post pics once I get that lid done.