Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    This media account also threatens if they don't participate.

When will parents learn they are not doing their kids a favor allowing all this social media interaction.
    The reality is that you can more or less remove MEDIA from that statement. It is how younger generations interact. It is neither good nor bad, it just is. Blaming social media is foolish. None of this existed over 3 decades ago when I was a teen and I still managed to do some stupid, life threatening chit. A couple of times it really was close to the end.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    The reality is that you can more or less remove MEDIA from that statement. It is how younger generations interact. It is neither good nor bad, it just is. Blaming social media is foolish. None of this existed over 3 decades ago when I was a teen and I still managed to do some stupid, life threatening chit. A couple of times it really was close to the end.
    how many suicide games were around 3 decades ago? doing stupid, life threatening chit is standard and part of everyday life when youre young. We all gotta start drinking some time!

A troll creating game leading to suicide, just by using an old (super old if your an internet nerd/youtube nerd or into creepypasta stuff) internet image/meme and disseminating the game to the masses with the hopes/goals of only snagging a few dedicated followers...its a numbers games via social media....if 7.7 billion people see the stupid social media post, and they "only" get 1 person to follow through and take their life....the troll won.

Social media is a big problem in 2018, and its foolish to even debate that. Social media makes everyone think they can be the next Kim Kardashian (i.e. teens....and some not of legal age posting pics in their underwear to the public), or next viral hit who thinks they can monetize the viral nature of it (e.g. tide pod challenge).

Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

Quote Originally Posted by FishInTheDesert View Post
    how many suicide games were around 3 decades ago? doing stupid, life threatening chit is standard and part of everyday life when youre young. We all gotta start drinking some time!

A troll creating game leading to suicide, just by using an old (super old if your an internet nerd/youtube nerd or into creepypasta stuff) internet image/meme and disseminating the game to the masses with the hopes/goals of only snagging a few dedicated followers...its a numbers games via social media....if 7.7 billion people see the stupid social media post, and they "only" get 1 person to follow through and take their life....the troll won.

Social media is a big problem in 2018, and its foolish to even debate that. Social media makes everyone think they can be the next Kim Kardashian (i.e. teens....and some not of legal age posting pics in their underwear to the public), or next viral hit who thinks they can monetize the viral nature of it (e.g. tide pod challenge).
    You mean like the game of chicken? Hell, we didn't need a troll. I just ran down the road at 100 mph jumping bridges like a complete moron. Social media is just a tool, it is not to blame for problems in the work. People are. Always have been.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Banned
    You mean like the game of chicken? Hell, we didn't need a troll. I just ran down the road at 100 mph jumping bridges like a complete moron. Social media is just a tool, it is not to blame for problems in the work. People are. Always have been.
    game of chicken....aka a pissing contest? those will always stand the test of time and still go on in some forms. You didnt need a troll...but didnt need a reason to feel like measuring each other piss either. AGAIN...this is still happening. Maybe not old movie style...but yea, if you wanna go grab a beer on a saturday night I can guarantee we will see a pissing contest....and yea, some times cars are involved. Look at road rage stats, and deaths that come from it (wayyyy more now vs when you were playing chicken).

Kids are still doing ALL the stuff you used too...and dealing with this social media ON TOP of that. Again...its foolish not to realize that social media is a big problem. Look at the tide pod challenge.

What is the tide pod challenge and why did people do it? **SPOILER ALERT: it wasnt you jumping off a bridge at 100mph where NO ONE except the 10-20 people who happened to be around would give 2 shits about. It was about going viral. Whats viral....getting a bunch of jokers to click on your instagram video.

Again...its foolish not to realize the problems social media has caused. Kinda concerning too considering you were "in the trenches" being a teacher. Maybe those homeschool people arent the nuts I stereotyped them to be lol

game of chicken....aka a pissing contest? those will always stand the test of time and still go on in some forms. You didnt need a troll...but didnt need a reason to feel like measuring each other piss either. AGAIN...this is still happening. Maybe not old movie style...but yea, if you wanna go grab a beer on a saturday night I can guarantee we will see a pissing contest....and yea, some times cars are involved. Look at road rage stats, and deaths that come from it (wayyyy more now vs when you were playing chicken).

Kids are still doing ALL the stuff you used too...and dealing with this social media ON TOP of that. Again...its foolish not to realize that social media is a big problem. Look at the tide pod challenge.

What is the tide pod challenge and why did people do it? **SPOILER ALERT: it wasnt you jumping off a bridge at 100mph where NO ONE except the 10-20 people who happened to be around would give 2 shits about. It was about going viral. Whats viral....getting a bunch of jokers to click on your instagram video.

Again...its foolish not to realize the problems social media has caused. Kinda concerning too considering you were "in the trenches" being a teacher. Maybe those homeschool people arent the nuts I stereotyped them to be lol
    Again, social media is just a tool. How it is used determines the outcome. This message board is a form of social media. Facebook and Twitter don't cause any problems. The way people use them is the problem. Don't want your kid using it the wrong way? Then teach them the right way. Don't blame the app.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

7. Banned
    Again, social media is just a tool. How it is used determines the outcome. This message board is a form of social media. Facebook and Twitter don't cause any problems. The way people use them is the problem. Don't want your kid using it the wrong way? Then teach them the right way. Don't blame the app.
    considering as how you see that fb and twitter/Social media...youre obviously disconnected cuz instagram is what the kids really are on now, but nevermind that.....do you think the state of bullying would be where its at now had social media never been invented (all bullying, cyber, real life, etc...)?

on another note, you mention "social media is just a tool. How it is used determines the outcome." reminds me of the gun arguments...and hey, the internet in general if we really think about it (spoiler alert: you cant go buy an RPG right now, and the dark web exists). and you mention teaching better....bud...you ever clicked on some shady, and bordering on/or flat out despicable stuff on the internet...that you KNEW BETTER than to click on? If you wanna lie, the answer is no...but if youre being honest the answer is yes cuz thats the way the internet works. Kids are still human, not robots...the whole teach them better is so naive, even moreso with all the outside influences kids NEVER faced...even 10 years ago, and even more so when you were younger.

Like I said...its foolish to think social media is not an issue. If you wanna say something silly like that...you gotta at least acknowledge it has exacerbated a lot of social issues. Shoot...I dont care where you stand politically...facebook played a big role in helping getting donald trump elected. So again, its foolish to think social media is not a problem...you try to make the "how its used" argument....and I'll ask you....how is facebook/social media supposed to be used? Just to post baby/pet/food pics, announce marriages, and wish happy birthdays...or how is it supposed to be used? Its use is a big problem.....thinking that there is a proper way to use it is a bigger problem, and pretty laughable to be honest. Zuckerberg cutthroated the Winklevoss twins....and youre telling me social media isnt cutthroat in nature just keeping that in mind? its the nature of the beast. social media has never been a friendly thing...even in the myspace days.

I hate to throw out the age card...but I think its really hard for older people to fully comprehend social media today. Go ahead and roast me...but im prolly not wrong, at least generally speaking

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    So then I guess this would be considered the official beginning of the "quadruple dog dare"?
    Actually, if you don't take action on the triple dog dare, you are automatically put on double secret probation.

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    There was a movie made about this recently....called I dare you or something like that. Social media gives some kids a sense of empowerment being able to reach so many people. Little do they realize it’s all fake and they’re laughing at your expense. Parenting is the answer to most of the problems I see.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    Actually, if you don't take action on the triple dog dare, you are automatically put on double secret probation.
    Then you'll have to deal with dean Wormer.
    Hi Mike.

11. idbefishing
    I hate how some of you guys grouped BBC in with f..book. BBC is good responsible adult conversations, nothing bad ever risen out of BBC. Can’t say the same about f..book, that entity has everything and anything from innocent grandmas to the lowest of scums on earth. I would be happy if it disappears.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idbefishing View Post
    I hate how some of you guys grouped BBC in with f..book. BBC is good responsible adult conversations, nothing bad ever risen out of BBC. Can’t say the same about f..book, that entity has everything and anything from innocent grandmas to the lowest of scums on earth. I would be happy if it disappears.
    We just discussed Native American pubes. Maybe not our finest moment.

13. Member
    considering as how you see that fb and twitter/Social media...youre obviously disconnected cuz instagram is what the kids really are on now, but nevermind that.....do you think the state of bullying would be where its at now had social media never been invented (all bullying, cyber, real life, etc...)?
    I think it's much more psychological warfare now whereas it used to be 50/50 (physical abuse vs taunting/teasing). But I'm not sure what you're saying. Is it more common or less common now in your opinion? It happened all the time back in my day--kids picking on other kids. Teachers would mostly shrug it off until it went to actual punching and physical abuse so the awareness level has gone up 10,000x

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I think it's much more psychological warfare now whereas it used to be 50/50 (physical abuse vs taunting/teasing). But I'm not sure what you're saying. Is it more common or less common now in your opinion? It happened all the time back in my day--kids picking on other kids. Teachers would mostly shrug it off until it went to actual punching and physical abuse so the awareness level has gone up 10,000x
    im not saying either. my point is that social media has created a new animal that is nothing like it was in the past. This type of stuff, i.e. "kill yourself" "no one likes you" and that other stuff is what you expect from some teens or some mean girls...but from 10 year olds? What im saying is that in 2018 a 10 year old will say stuff like this....I graduated in 2005 and that whole "kill yourself" thing wasnt a thing from what I can remember.

So what im saying is that this social media has created a whole new monster....cuz its not teasing anymore. These damn kids are really killing themselves because other kids tell them things like "no one likes you, kill yourself." How many kids were driven to suicide back in your day from either the teasing or physical bullying? thats what my point is. Im sure I can point to stats that show bullying rates increasing year over year....but thats not a good indicator cuz parents are trigger happy at reporting anything as bullying too at times..plus the 10,000x awareness you mentioned too. So im not saying its more or less common...and i dont really feel that can be accurately determined....shoot they prolly change what the definition of bullying is yearly we are getting so thin skinned as a country! lol but my point is that this is a whole new animal...and a shitty one at that.

15. Member
    In high school there was a girl nicknamed MoMo. From what I hear there wasn’t much challenge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12