Thread: Cb foil?

Cb foil?

Will a foil for a sportmaster fit a gen 2 torquemaster?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum and provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Yes, although I would strongly recommend against the introduction of a THIRD horizontal plane "fin" on the gearcase. From what I've seen, boats that can maintain planing at low speeds (with the Gen-2 TM) tend to become a tad squirrely if the trim angle is not "just right".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If you would, Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum and provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Yes, although I would strongly recommend against the introduction of a THIRD horizontal plane "fin" on the gearcase. From what I've seen, boats that can maintain planing at low speeds (with the Gen-2 TM) tend to become a tad squirrely if the trim angle is not "just right".
    My observations regarding a CB foil on a 2003 Cougar with a 250Pro and TM II.
    In the TK II set frequently asked questions I found the method of measuring and calculating P to P to be dead on for overall performance,,,,http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=382250
    Also found with a Fury prop one large hole PVS plug is required to keep ventilation under control
    *CB foil did not improve hole shot time at all, it does keep the bow lower for better vision and does stay on plane about 3 mph slower
    It can cause the boat to hook under certain conditions of a high wake and turning as you crossover especially if trimmed down a little to much
    The foil moves a lot of water forward when dropping off the pad, actually makes for more backwash unless you delay trimming down a little
    I will continue to use though because of the slower planning speeds is useful when graphing when I want to cover a lot of water like a new lake

Get it propped to run right at the max rpm, the right P to P for your rig and then get the ventilation correct before thinking about a foil, just my opinion as it works for me

*I am of the firm belief that if the prop and boat setup are correct, A foil will not get you on the pad faster in most cases, Gamblers and a few other stern heavy boats would be exceptions though. I think a planning plate would be far better
    Be more careful with the trim when using the CB or Allison Foil, especially if you have a keel guard as well, you could get a surprise with new handling characteristics
    Last edited by lpugh; 12-13-2018 at 11:09 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh