Thread: Mississippi

Mississippi

Anybody been up on the Mississippi around Winfield chasing walleye/sauger?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Banned
    Sounds like fun!

3. Member
    If you want to go sometime Tom, let me know!

4. Member
    What about bass fishing?

5. Member
    I don’t know about that far up, away from the marinas and pleasure boaters (summer time). I asked this question some time ago and didn’t get much more of a response about areas around portage and such. I think there would be fish and I think it would be a lot of fun. I run a fiberglass rig so I never wanted to get super close to the wing dykes were the fish would hold.
    1984 Ranger 395V 1998 Mariner 225 Mag EFI

"A bad day of fishing, is always better then a good day at work"

6. Member
    I live further north on the river than you guys are talking about but I haven't heard of anyone walleye fishing this year. The river has not been stable all year. As far as bass fishing, it is not what it was in the past. The Asian carp have invested the river from Keokuk, IA and south. I am not real familiar with the Winfield pool (Pool 25) or the Alton pool (Pool 26) but know that the bass fishing on Pool 24 is spotty at best. I can literally be on the water in 15 minutes from my house and can count on 2 hands how many times I fished the river this year and I average 2-3 times on the water a week. I have heard some guys say that the fishing has improved on Pool 26 but I have not been down there is several years. If you are not used to fishing where these carp live, be warned, they do jump and they will end up in your boat on a fairly regular basis. I have not had many issues with them jumping while on plane because they are usually behind you. Besides the carp the other issue with fishing is the river not being stable. In order for those fish to get out of the backwaters and creeks you need the river to be low and slow. This has not happened much in the last 10 years. I don't want to wish anything bad on the farmers but a good drought for about 3 years from Missouri and to the north would make our river fishing much better.

7. Member
    Thanks for the insight Jay! I drove up to winfield dam sunday and there wasnt a boat out there. Ramp was empty too. I may give it a try next weekend. The water was somewhat low and average clarity.

I think the bass fishing on pool 26 is better around alton area. We used to catch them in the cuivre river and some of the creeks but 4 that has not been the case the last couple years.

8. Member
    I am curious about your report/review if you make it out.
    1984 Ranger 395V 1998 Mariner 225 Mag EFI

"A bad day of fishing, is always better then a good day at work"

9. Member
    Just talked to winfield fisherman today and he said they have not turned on yet.?

10. Member
    So I'm wondering if you fish the marinas on pool 26 it might be good since the fish might be trapped in there..or like the creek channels..or "oxbow's" for bass..