Question ALTERNATOR WIRING DIAGRAM - low voltage alarm after starting

I have 2008 250 Pro XS. I continue to have the following issues - low voltage alarm after starting, the engine will occasionally cut out at idle, and on a rare occasion after a long run the starter won't turn the engine over but I can hear it spin before engaging. The voltage in battery is good, battery cables are good, clean and tight, and the battery is charging when running at 14.1V. After a lot of research it sounds like there may be an issue with alternator wires. Where can I find the wiring diagram to make sure I check the right ones?

Thanks.
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

Test the battery, voltage does not mean it is good, The same for the alternator 14.1 volts does not mean the unit is charging at full amperage capacity
    All starting issues start with the battery
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum and provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Agree with the above- LOAD TEST the battery and provide the CCA as shown by the LOAD TEST.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks for the responses. I had the battery tested and it's good. I plan to clean check and clean all wiring connections to the starter and alternator.

I'm not sure where to find these "Announcements" you mentioned. Thanks
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by kmelford View Post
    http://www.bbcboards.net/announcement.php?f=7
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Thanks for the responses. I had the battery tested and it's good. I plan to clean check and clean all wiring connections to the starter and alternator.
    That test really isn’t enough. What voltage is the battery when the engine isn’t running. Check it several times during a day. When you disconnect the charger, when you get to the lake and a few more times during the day.

And exactly what battery are you running?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    I will do that at the lake. I’m running an AGM XPS 31M battery that’s less than a year old. I have the MK battery charger with an AGM setting. Thanks

8. Member
    KMelford,

I would tighten power and negative bolts at the relays, alternator and the starter also. But before you do this...WARNING! UNDO THE BATTERY TERMINALS AT THE STARTER BATTERY. You will be sorry if you don't. Dont assume you are immune to a short. The alternator has a direct connect to the positive terminal and if you ground it by accident, you will blow out the inline fuse which is not replaceable. SO again WARNING! UNDO THE BATTERY TERMINALS AT THE STARTER BATTERY FIRST.

ONce you crimp down the terminals at the alternator, relay, and starter try it again. All you need is one loose connection. One other warning, careful with the relay when tightening. Do not over tighten as you can tighten and strip the innards of the relay.

Best wishes.

9. Member

The only place I could find "XPS" battery info was on Bass Pro Shop's website, The gp31 is rated at 650CCA which is inadequate for any Optimax all of which require 800CCA minimum for engine alone, no accessories.

At the very top of this forum page - PLEASE READ Before Posting..... Updated 10/05/2017
    Last edited by SilverFox579; 12-25-2018 at 08:05 AM.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

I will do that at the lake. I’m running an AGM XPS 31M battery that’s less than a year old. I have the MK battery charger with an AGM setting. Thanks
    No wonder you got issues, replace that Battery. look for 900 plus CCA (not MCA) and 190 minutes plus reserve
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Low CCA might explain the low voltage alarm after cranking, but the other issues are likely more than just the battery specs.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

In order to make that determination a specific CCA Test Result would need to be found- and based on the engine and application, 950 or higher CCA will be needed.

With inadequate battery- just about any imaginable type of performance problem can result. Many of them will not involve any fault information.

Start with the obvious problem- get the correct rating battery, utilize some high-quality clamp-style terminals, and then see where you are at. Be more than happy to assist further if needed, but this is where you'll need to start (the most obvious problem).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Thank you for all the guidance. I cleaned and checked all connections and didn’t have any recent issues on the water. I have my volt meter on the boat to check it if and when the problem arises again. But I could still hear the beep after starting. The smart gauges all say ‘ok’ though. My battery has 1150 CCA. I will keep you posted. Thanks again

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That is likely a PCM Calibration "gremlin". A later calibration addressed this- but, I would definitely NOT part with the one that came on your engine (it was a very stable performer).

If the above it the case, it will occur only at temps below 65 degrees F, and will log a "neutral overspeed" for every cold start. Not a problem.