Banned

Fortrex out of balance prop

The prop on my 80 lb Fortrex is out of balance...darn oyster bars. I haven't hit anything hard enough to bend a shaft, just chew up the prop a bit. I've done some searching on the inter web but can't find a good method to rebalance it. I used to balance props on my R/C airplanes so I'm familiar with the concept but the couple of ways I've tried to go about it didn't work. Anyone here overcome this problem in the past?

Thanks for your help!

2. Banned
    Order a Kipawa tri-blade for it and you can thank me later.
    I wish MinnKota would have them instead.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage Dog View Post
    The prop on my 80 lb Fortrex is out of balance...darn oyster bars. I haven't hit anything hard enough to bend a shaft, just chew up the prop a bit. I've done some searching on the inter web but can't find a good method to rebalance it. I used to balance props on my R/C airplanes so I'm familiar with the concept but the couple of ways I've tried to go about it didn't work. Anyone here overcome this problem in the past?

Thanks for your help!
    Man Do you really want to go down that path. A new prop is $40.00.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by D-wayne View Post
    Order a Kipawa tri-blade for it and you can thank me later.
    I wish MinnKota would have them instead.
    This might be an option, thanks.

5. Member
    Just be happy you dont have a motor guide. Oysters and shells chew through 8+ machete props a year.

I would think the little balance thingy for a lawnmower blade and a file should get you close enough to keep vibration down.

I keep a file in my truck to knock the big burs off the blade edge. Works well, clean and fast. If it starts vibrating to much I throw it out and buy another.

They are disposable to me.

My file is a cheapy from harbor freight or something but similar to this.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076FYGMYZ...3-7f522031bab0

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by friogatto View Post
    I would think the little balance thingy for a lawnmower blade and a file should get you close enough to keep vibration down.
    Good idea! I think my neighbor has a balance thingy for his commercial lawn mower...I think I'll try that before I spend money. Yes, I'M CHEAP!

7. Banned
    It isn't so much the weight balance of the prop but the angles of each blade has to match from inside to the outer edge.
    That is the tricky part

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by D-wayne View Post
    It isn't so much the weight balance of the prop but the angles of each blade has to match from inside to the outer edge.
    That is the tricky part
    I agree, my attempt to balance may fail but I have to try first.

Regarding the Kipawa, I read somewhere that they work fine in forward but tend to vibrate in reverse. I don't know why that would be...doesn't make since to me. Anyone here experience this?

UPDATE!!!

I was able to balance the prop today. It was WAY out of balance. Just a few minutes with the Dremel with a sanding attachment and it's balanced. I haven't tried it in the water yet but it ran a lot smoother on the bench!
    Last edited by Garage Dog; 12-14-2018 at 04:04 PM.

9. Banned
    Took it out on the water today and my balancing job worked like a charm!!!! Caught a bunch of nice sheepshead too!.

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    So what was the trick to sanding? Or should I say what part did you sand?
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    So what was the trick to sanding? Or should I say what part did you sand?
    I removed the prop and fab'ed up a shaft that fit tightly in the hole. Then I opened my vice and sat the prop in the vice loosely with the shaft spanning the vice. Gravity takes over and the heavy side goes down. I just took my dremel and and cleaned up the edges first (it was kind of chewed up) and then began to remove material on the back side of the blade just slightly without changing the shape of the blade. I was surprised how well it worked because as I was getting it closer and closer with each sanding I actually went a bit to far and had to slightly sand the other blade. I know it's crude but it worked!

Last edited by Garage Dog; 12-19-2018 at 05:01 PM.