Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I agree with taking her to a store to let her try out some different ones.
    Guitar center is probably one of the best for this and each one I have been in has a huge inventory of everything you could ever want.
    I agree the Taylor will be probably the best fit but each person is different and likes a different sound and each guitar has a different sound also depending on how its made and materials its made out of.
    and I would also bet she would have a lot of fun trying different ones out in the store.

2. Banned
    Get in touch with FishinPicker here, I think that is his name.
    Last edited by BPenrod; 12-13-2018 at 05:03 AM.

3. Member
    Also check out the Ibanez RG series

4. Member
    Don't get a cheap guitar. It will frustrate her. Look for a used Takamine Santa Fe.

5. Member
    One of my guitar students is 11 years old a beginner. His dad purchased a Martin Dreadnought Jr. locally and I have been impressed with it. The price range is $500ish I believe. If you have a local store, I agree with others as that is where I would start looking. Preferably a mom and pop store though and not the big box stores like Guitar Center. If you want to look online, I recommend Ben Clark. He used to be a touring musician- played with his sisters in a band called the Purple Hulls and also performed with Taylor Swift. He started an online music lesson service called Banjo Ben's, and with so many students searching for a good instrument he has since morphed it into a store as well. All of the instruments that he and his partner Jake sell go through an inspection and set up before being shipped out. He is a good dude, good teacher, and worth a look. www.banjobenclark.com and tell him I said hi.

6. Member
    If she is interested in acoustic than I would recommend a Baby Taylor made by Taylor. It is I believe a 1/2 or 3/4 size and has a solid wood top. I own one and use it as a travel guitar and it is great. It will run around $350. Martin makes a similar one for a little less that is probably just as good. I would stay away from Fender acoustics, IMO they are terrible. Yamaha makes good acoustic guitars that are very reasonable. Whatever you get make sure it has a solid wood top, not laminated. If she is serious about playing guitar than a Baby Taylor would be well worth the $$ and last a very long time.
    Last edited by Kwasham; 12-13-2018 at 07:19 AM.

Whatever FishinPicker says is probably the best advice! When I was shopping for my daughter, I was fortunate enough to have a local luthier with a shop and FishinPickers advice in my pocket. As we were honing down our choices, we actually had a few regulars in the shop play the top 3 choices. It amazed me how some guitars (which all looked similar to me) sounded completely different, especially in how well they projected.
    I've heard that Osage Orange makes for a very unique high quality sound with a very distinctive look. A recent ice storm took down a large osage orange tree. Maybe I'll have one made for her since she has started to collect guitars like we collect baitcasters
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwasham View Post
    If she is interested in acoustic than I would recommend a Baby Taylor made by Taylor. It is I believe a 1/2 or 3/4 size and has a solid wood top. I own one and use it as a travel guitar and it is great. A smaller guitar will be easier for a kid/smaller person to manage. I believe there is a model called a Taylor GS Mini that is good as well but I have only had experience with the Baby Taylor model.
    I have a Baby Taylor in the closet for my son, when he gets old enough and decides to learn. Not a bad choice for a beginner, but I have to say I am more impressed with the Dreadnought Jr my student has. Plays great, sounds better, but also more in line with the Taylor GS Mini.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vatreefarmer View Post
    I've heard that Osage Orange makes for a very unique high quality sound with a very distinctive look. A recent ice storm took down a large osage orange tree. Maybe I'll have one made for her since she has started to collect guitars like we collect baitcasters
    Oh no, she has the dreaded GAS disease! Guitar Acqusition Syndrome!

10. Member
    You will also need 1 of the old Roy Clark books to teacher her how to play. Hold up wait a minute that might have been for the banjo

11. Member
    get a mid range nylon string acoustic, dont buy a cheap one . Much easier to learn to play than a steel string unless her hands are really small

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis S. View Post
    I started on a Gibson Les Paul SG back in the early 70's. Spent most of my time playing electrics until mid 80's. I'd look for a Fender Mustang or something similar. Might as well start them with something loud!
    I to started with the Gibson Les Paul SG and still have it.

13. Member
    I started with a Gibson SG Junior.....still have it!

14. Member
    Thank you guys for the input. Much appreciated. I played in High School, 1970’s and had a steel string Yamaha acoustic.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BR400 View Post
    I started with a Gibson SG Junior.....still have it!
    My first guitar was a 1974 Fender Mustang and I still have it also. I have also contracted the GAS syndrome. I've had my eye on a Gibson Firebird for a little while. So far one hasn't followed me home but it could happen. I keep thinking I'll stumble on a older one that's reasonable and plays great.

16. Member
    A 3/4 acoustic would be my suggestion. Yamaha makes one, as well as Taylor and Martin. Also parlour sized acoustics are sneaking back into popularity , not as large as a regular acoustic, but larger than a 3/4.

17. Member
    The Mrs and I just bought our grand daughter a Ukelele for Christmas

We have a history of making music in our families. Perfect size for her small hands and much easier to learn/ not get frustrated and quit early.
    A quality Uke can be attained for around $100 and they go up from there

18. Member
    Taylor mini. Perfect for her size, plays nice and sounds great. Price isn’t bad either.

I also suggest to look at the Recording King brand. I never in a million years thought I'd buy one, but I did. I bought a parlor style. It real old bluesy sounding. They are built like expensive guitars. Real woods, solid tops backs and sides. Dove tail joints. A little more expensive is the baby Taylor. It sounds good also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12