Corporate Bond ETFs

I was doing some window shopping for investment ideas over the weekend and was looking at some term ETFs from Blackrock. These are investment grade ETF's that are similar to holding individual bonds in that they have a specific maturity date that corresponds with the ETF's underlying holdings. When you hit the maturity date the ETF unwinds and they distribute the NAV value of the bonds (which barring a default should be the face amount of the bonds) to you. This is something I have been looking for where I can ladder some investment grade bonds with differing maturities without having to dump 100,000.00 into four separate bonds. These usually hold about 400+ different bonds ranging from AAA to BBB so you do get diversification. The best part is you are not holding them perpetually and you don't have to worry about mass redemptions like in a mutual fund. You can hold to maturity like an individual bond but at the same time get diversification. For the bond fund maturing in December 2023 it is yielding at todays prices 3.89% and the 2022 it is 3.76. I talked to two brokers who were not aware of these and we called blackrock directly to get specifics. I'm just posting this in case anyone is interested in these type of investments. Apparently they are not widely known but they do look like a decent way to invest and ladder corporate bonds without having to put a ton of money in them for single issues.

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    interesting, will take a look
    Thanos was the hero

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    interesting, will take a look
    The symbols I bought were IBDN, IBDO and IBDM. The have a calculator on the BlacRock site that will give you the estimated yield for the life of the etf at the price you are buying them at.

4. Member
    Are these UITs?

Janky,

Here is a link to IBDN. https://www.ishares.com/us/products/...-corporate-etf
    IBDO https://www.ishares.com/us/products/...-corporate-etf
    IBDM https://www.ishares.com/us/products/...-corporate-etf

These are just ETF's that invest 90% of the funds into the bonds that mature in those years.

6. Member
    I also talked to Blackrock directly and they sent me an informational packet regarding the structure and operating and the performance of prior ETF's that have matured. They aim to distribute 25.00 per share at security, which of course is not guaranteed, but if you look at previous issues they have met or exceeded these thresholds. Invesco has a similar product that is structured as an ETF but I don't have the information for those products. Blackrock is pretty good about putting a lot of information on its site.