Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New echomap blemish

Just got a new 93sv plus. Noticed on the back this little half circle spot out of the plastic. Its maybe 1/8” in diameter. Does anybody else have one handy they could look at and see if this is normal?

2. Member
    May have to post a picture tomorrow, i can never get pictures to work from my iphone

3. Member

Just resize your photo.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Just looked at mine and didnt see anything like you describe....where exactly is it at??
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. Member
    I can’t see anything..but I’m trying to see it on my phone so that may be it

7. Member

8. Member
    Just got my 93sv yesterday and it also has that little hole. Looks to be a shinny metal strip inside like maybe a reset button. Have not had a chance to look at the manual yet to see if it is described as such or not.

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Looked over mine again and I have the same "hole".....looks like its planned to be there....I wouldn't worry about it.

10. Member
    Hmm. Emailed garmin and they said send it back.

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I wouldnt send it back....they are there for a purpose but im not sure what for.....

12. Member
    Yep. Just looked. Mine has it too. No idea why. The reason you were told to send it back was probably because the help desk don't know about it either. Unless it's malfunctioning in some way, I'd hold on to it. We'll probably get a post from Todd saying what it is and then have a big laugh.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

13. Member
    Yeah I will hold off for a bit. Not impossible theres a whole batch of defective ones though. Seems odd for something thats made to be waterproof

14. Member
    Ok guys, just got the word. The "blemish" is not a blemish. It's a vent hole. Inside is a hydrophobic patch to prevent water intrusion. All units have this feature and all are sealed waterproof units. It's a mechanism to equalize pressure changes and prevent damage to the unit.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

15. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    There you go....i was thinking along the lines of "speaker" that you hear the "beeps" from button pushing.....Lowrance has a "hole" in the back of their units also, so thats why i mentioned above that i doubt it was a issue.

16. Member
    With such a hole, can it be IPX7?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    that's a good question

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    That's easy. It's not simply a hole. it's the entrance to the pressure equalization mechanism. They could have put it on the outside but it would have stuck out like a sore thumb. Think of it this way. It only opens when the pressure differential gets to a certain point and then not if any water is present. Recall - hydrophobic. Rarely would anyone run into a situation where it would open. If I pulled my boat across the mountain (Clingman's Dome) to Tennessee I would. Elevation at my house is around 1800 ft. The mountain 6643 ft. So that would be a significant up and down. Could happen in shipping. Apparently it works well. I've never seen a report of water intrustion on any Garmin unit unlike..........

My guess is that all the manufacturers have to provide such a mechanism.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 12-14-2018 at 10:22 AM.

19. Member
    There's one on my 1042, 8610 and 73sv plus, but not on my older 73dv. The hole does not appear to go all the way through so I think Basstracker's concerns are covered. Probably something in the molding process. Whatever it is, I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it!

SE Kansas grass grower

I'ts probably the Russians.

ROCK CHALK

20. Member
    If they would have made it more of an intentional looking hole I think there would be less concern, but its kind of a half moon looking hole that is hard to tell if its meant to be there or not. Or mold in some text that says "vent" near it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast