Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SC Late March destination

Hey guys, I’m from PA and wanting to make a mid March trip to SC. I’ve fished Murray before in early March and again in early April. Also fish Norman for a week every year in April. But I’m looking for a family friendly lake where you can hopefully get on good numbers and a big fish is just a bonus.

2. Member
    You should give the Santee Cooper Lakes a try. Lake Marion is 110,000 acres and Lake Moultrie is 60,000 acres.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

3. Member
    Hartwell

4. Member
    Some might not agree but if you want to catch loads of bass and the chance for a decent one Russell is right up there with most of our lakes 40-50 spots is very possible and it still produces some decent largemouth

5. Member
    Santee, Wateree, or Greenwood

I would say Santee for fishing. But, it's not really family friendly. Not much for the family to do there, other than fish.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    Where is a good place to launch on the santee. I did some research around the state park area

Where to launch depends on which lake you will be fishing and what part of that lake. On the lower lake, Angel's Camp ground or Black's Fish Camp are two good places to launch. On the Diversion Canal, you can launch at The Canal fish Camp, Hill's Camp, or the camp ground at Big Oak. In the upper lake, John C., Spier's Landing, Rock's Pond, the Santee state park, or Jack's Creek Marina.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

What Jeff said,plus Bells Marina mid lake Lake Marion or if you like docks,Alex Harvin in the Wyboo area.If you want to fish up near the top of Lake Marion you a put in at Packs Landing or Low Falls.

You also have a couple more choices in the lower lake area.There is a Navy Recreational place (Short Stay) on the lower lake,just a couple of miles from Monks Corner S.C.You want have much wind protection here,but you can trailer.Another ramp,will be Russelville.If you stay near the lower lake,you want be but about 30 to 45 minutes from Charleston,S.C.Good place to visit,if you never have been there,but traffic can be bad & you will be close to some beaches.Almost forgot,you will be very close to the Cooper River.
    Last edited by santee bass; 12-16-2018 at 11:51 PM.

10. Member
    Is this the launch near wyboo? I like that it’s protected and docks can usually be easy to figure out. Do these docks in this area produce typically and also on the santee is there much risk of hitting anything. Stumps, sand bars, unmarked obstructions ect? I’m used to fish the Chesapeake bay and Potomac so I’m used to seeing things but having never been there I like to ask

Yes,it is on highway 260 from Manning to the dam.The whole lake system has stumps.The Wyboo area is fairly safe.You don’t want run across points,don’t run across shallow areas(unless you know them) & be very careful running creeks & coves.Your safest bet,use a guide the 1st or 2nd day to get an idea on where to run & what to do.

Oops, I for got about Bell's! DUH!

Stumps...there are more stumps in Santee than in all reservoirs in Ohio combined, times 1000! In addition, in the upper lake there are trees broken off right below the surface. And, after Hurricane Hugo came through, there are also deadheads, just peeking out of the surface. My advice is to watch where the locals run. And, if you are not sure what's ahead of you, SLOW DOWN!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hchamberlin1 View Post
    Is this the launch near wyboo? I like that it’s protected and docks can usually be easy to figure out. Do these docks in this area produce typically and also on the santee is there much risk of hitting anything. Stumps, sand bars, unmarked obstructions ect? I’m used to fish the Chesapeake bay and Potomac so I’m used to seeing things but having never been there I like to ask

Do yourself a favor, hire Inky Davis (santee bass) for at least a day to show you around. In the long run you’ll be saving time and money, and lessening the chance of tearing your stuff up.

I started fishing Santee close to 40 years ago. I’ve spent very little time in the upper end of Marion, but I plan to learn it one of these days. When I get to that point, I’m hiring Inky to show me around...that’s how much I’d value his information.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    My advice is to watch where the locals run. And, if you are not sure what's ahead of you, SLOW DOWN!
    Good advice about slowing down.

As for watching where others run, well, I’ve seen people run through bad areas, and after trying to wave them off have to cover my eyes waiting on them to hit something. I once saw a guy at a distance running WAO across the middle of the Hatchery, he somehow made it about 1/4 of the way across before the big bang came.

Jeff, you still making your yearly trip down here?

Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post

Ss long as they cook BBQ down here,he will come.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by santee bass View Post
    Yes,it is on highway 260 from Manning to the dam.The whole lake system has stumps.The Wyboo area is fairly safe.You don’t want run across points,don’t run across shallow areas(unless you know them) & be very careful running creeks & coves.Your safest bet,use a guide the 1st or 2nd day to get an idea on where to run & what to do.
    Inky, do you do guide trips that are geared more towards learning the lakes than fishing? It would be nice to just ride in the boat with you from one end to the other talking about safe places to run and good areas to fish.

Yes,I do navigation trips.

18. Member
    I should do a day of navigation tips. Even after years on the flats and northern rivers it’s nothing like running a stump field I’m sure. I’m looking into vrbo rentals and so far the options seem to be santee, wateree, hartwell/russel area, and possibly Wylie just because we have friends with a house nearby

Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by santee bass View Post
    Ss long as they cook BBQ down here,he will come.
    Yes, still coming down each March. Inky knows me too well! As long as my health holds out, I plan to keep coming.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hchamberlin1 View Post
    I should do a day of navigation tips. Even after years on the flats and northern rivers it’s nothing like running a stump field I’m sure.
    I grew up fishing the susquehanna flats and Santee makes it look like a swimmin pool! The fishing is well worth the risk though. Just get a good map and take your time or call Inky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast