Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Thinking of moving to Texas .

We are looking to move soon to Texas. Looking at Tyler . Any comments or suggestions ?
    1995 CHAMPION 171 DC

2. Banned
    Decent area, have a friend that works there but lives in Gilmer. Please don't be a liberal, we have enough of them moving in.

Thats why I'm moving to get away from the liberals.
    1995 CHAMPION 171 DC

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Groma View Post
    Perfect, welcome to Texas!

For God , family , country and we live it !
    1995 CHAMPION 171 DC

6. Banned
    For God , family , country and we live it !
    You'll fit in well here! Have you been down here to look at areas?

I have three other friends that have just moved in or around Tyler. My son is at Lackland AFB we're headed there in Jan.
    1995 CHAMPION 171 DC

8. Banned
    I’ve never been to Tyler, but at least there’s quite a few lakes up there. The fishing around the San Antonio area is meh at best.

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Back in my life in the TX panhandle, I used to ferry Bellanca Super Vikings between Plainview, TX and the factory in Alexandria, MN. Real pretty country in the summer. Didn't care for it too much in the winter though. Guys at the plant said they'd take me ice fishing on one of my winter trips. Told them huts with smoke coming out the chimney pipes and their trucks parked there with them in the middle of the lake wasn't natural ...

10. Member
    Texas is a great State to live in. I've been here almost 40 of my 80 years.

11. Banned
    It's hard to get Texans out of Texas. I used to travel to Tyler, Texas often, and it's a decent medium size town on the eastern part of the state. The area is rather flat, and the forest is not that nice in the area.

If you're wanting to move elsewhere, consider East Tennessee, North Alabama and the Northeast Georgia mountains. Middle Tennessee 50 miles out of Nashville is also nice. The quality of life is high, home prices are very reasonable to cheap and the fishing's absolutely fantastic in the Tennessee River watershed.

I have made many enjoyable spring bass fishing trips to East Texas and it is a very beautiful part of the state. Lots of lakes but I guarantee you're going to miss the naive MN bass at some point.

13. Member
    If you're looking at Tyler, have a look around Whitehouse. It's a growing town right on the outskirts of Tyler. Depending on what you want, they have areas where you can get 2-5 acres or you can move in a sub-division. Lake Tyler is actually at Whitehouse. They have a weekly bass tournament almost every Saturday from safe light til noon. I've been camping there a couple of times, and they have had 15-20 boats. I went to the weigh-in once and they brought in some pretty nice fish. I think big fish went over 6.

then there's Lake Palestine just southwest of Tyler and Bullard, another little town just outside Tyler to the south. As you can tell, my preferences are not to be in the big town, although there isn't anything wrong with Tyler itself. My in laws lived there for a long time prior to their death and I always enjoyed going there. And compared to places I've lived in my lifetime, it's a beautiful area with lots of trees and water. Not like Minnesota probably, but better than most of Texas.
    Last edited by katyag; 12-13-2018 at 09:25 AM.

I love the Tyler / Longview area. Those two are mid-sized cities, and there are a lot of smaller towns around, so you have your pick. There are a lot of good bass lakes in the area also, close enough where you could live on the lake and work in the city. Welcome to Texas!!

Looking at the lake palestine area or southern Tyler area. Minnesota is a beautiful state 4 months out of the year . We moved here from Florida but Florida has become overrun by not just Northerners but people from all over the world.

Texas has everything we love lots of great fishing lakes wide open country good music ,BBQ,sunshine and God fearing people.
    1995 CHAMPION 171 DC

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post

I have made many enjoyable spring bass fishing trips to East Texas and it is a very beautiful part of the state. Lots of lakes but I guarantee you're going to miss the naive MN bass at some point.
    I lived and worked in Minnesnowda for 5 years and quit my job to come back home. The best thing there was I 35 south.

Quote Originally Posted by TxRanger1 View Post
    I lived and worked in Minnesnowda for 5 years and quit my job to come back home. The best thing there was I 35 south.
    I cannot disagree. Winter here = purgatory. BUT, spring, summer, and fall are awesome. I'm glad you found your happy place.

18. Member
    Looking at the lake palestine area or southern Tyler area. Minnesota is a beautiful state 4 months out of the year . We moved here from Florida but Florida has become overrun by not just Northerners but people from all over the world.

Texas has everything we love lots of great fishing lakes wide open country good music ,BBQ,sunshine and God fearing people.
    Well you better brush up on your spanish if you move here. More and more people from south of the border are coming all the time.

You'll be smack dab in big bass central. Yeah, there's some lingual crap but pretty minimal.
    East Texas is more love thy neighbor than shoot the outsider.
    The pines melt everyone, as long as you are legal...
    Back to the big bass, they are everywhere around here...

~~~~~ Bury my soul where the blue bonnets grow ~~~~~~
    https://www.mccainfishing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Well you better brush up on your spanish if you move here. More and more people from south of the border are coming all the time.
    Better to learn Spanish than Arabic .
    1995 CHAMPION 171 DC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast